Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yamaha VXR vs Sea Doo GTR 215

I am Thinking of buying a new ski soon. Should I get a Yamaha VXR or a Sea Doo GTR 215? it needs to be reliable so the supercharger on the GTR 215 will be bad. I know that the Yamaha is faster. is there anything better about the sea doo? I will be riding at the lake of the Ozarks and maybe some rivers. I will not ever use the ski in salt water. I know that i posted in the Kawasaki section, but i don't want biased information.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    STX-15F..... Well you are in the Kawasaki section!

See if you can go for a ride on both and then make up your own mind.

Cheers, Mal

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    See if you can go for a ride on both and then make up your own mind.
    -------------------
    My sediments - Eggggzakeleeeee

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2152771

Good Luck !!!!

+1
    I personally think you are looking at the wrong skis for that lake.
    The Yamaha FX is both natural and supercharged
    Kawasaki ultra is also both engine configurations
    Sea Doo I am not sure of th NA model but the SC is RXT

This lak is one of the roughest in the country. I would look into these other skis also. Top speed should not b the biggest concern because so few areas on that lake allow wot runs

In rough lakes the VXR is not going to be the best choice. But even in the morning rough lakes can be calm so that is something to think about too. If you are truly a recreational rider and peak engine performance is not a top concern, I would consider something that is Non Supercharged.

But your best bet is to "surf" all 3 sites here (Yamaha, Sea Doo, and Kawasaki). You will begin to see the Strengths of each, then you can decide which one fits you best. JB

I like that one too. I just didn't want people to say their favorite brand is best without a good reason. I have posted in all three forums and the 15f is in the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    I personally think you are looking at the wrong skis for that lake.
    The Yamaha FX is both natural and supercharged
    Kawasaki ultra is also both engine configurations
    Sea Doo I am not sure of th NA model but the SC is RXT

This lak is one of the roughest in the country. I would look into these other skis also. Top speed should not b the biggest concern because so few areas on that lake allow wot runs
    thanks. I'll look at those too.

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    In rough lakes the VXR is not going to be the best choice. But even in the morning rough lakes can be calm so that is something to think about too. If you are truly a recreational rider and peak engine performance is not a top concern, I would consider something that is Non Supercharged.

But your best bet is to "surf" all 3 sites here (Yamaha, Sea Doo, and Kawasaki). You will begin to see the Strengths of each, then you can decide which one fits you best. JB
    thanks. i have heard that the vxr will bounce. how much does that affect the performance?

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    I was three mate do a drag race on the weekend. Two were VXS's and a GTI 130. They were riding towards me, the two outside skis were bouncing up and down, the one in the centre was planted and hooked up. As they got closer could see the VXS's were on the outside. They were quite a bit quicker but the GTI's hull was better. This was in river, quite smooth water, but a few small boat wakes.

Seeing this, I'd probably go the GTR (and I'm not really a Seadoo guy). If I did go a VXR I'd want to get a rough water grate and plate ASAP. By the way, the STX hull doesn't bounce like what I saw. I was shocked.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by alex barker View Post
    thanks. i have heard that the vxr will bounce. how much does that affect the performance?
    This is where you need to do some homework Alex; and I would encourage you to find a way to ride each Ski you are interested in. But as long as you are asking, I will give you some specifics and from here you can form your own opinion.

- STX15F. I had one one these; and put 160 hours on this Ski. I do not have the Ski anymore. This Ski does bounce quite a bit at all speeds. This is a dated hull with a relatively good engine in it (normally aspirated 1500 cc engine). The strength of this Ski is it's ability to achieve excellent fuel range but at a compromised top speed (as compared to today's current Skis). There are some "plates and grates" modifications for this Ski which will increase top speed and hook up, but will also increase the "bounce" effect at the same time. This is a good Ski for the value, but its limits are reached quickly in all but very calm waters.

VXR- I currently have this Ski with over 100 hours logged and am impressed with what this Ski brings to the table. It is light, nimble, handles chop better than 15F, and has blinding top speed in calmer waters. Fuel range is excellent (87 octane like the 15F). The VXR, like the 15F, is a simple Ski without alot of "bells and whistles" which appeals to me. The VXR is also the fastest PWC you can buy off the showroom floor today . . . and it doesn't need a Supercharger to claim this feat.

With all I have said here, both the 15F and the VXR have limitations as you can see . . . they are not the best choice in rougher waters. For Posts like yours, I really recommend 2 Skis if you can. A VXR and something else "bigger" which will handle rougher water better is your best bet. Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Sea Doo all make bigger Skis than the VXR. JB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information