Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 1200 XL Ltd keeps blowing starter relay!!!

Hi
    I have a 1200 XL Ltd that I have been working on for a while. I had been trying to get my carbs adjusted and I finally got them where I wanted them. So I took it out on the water and going along fine at high throttle. All of a sudden my ski just died. When I tried to start it again I got nothing. I ended up finding that my starter relay/solenoid had gone bad(dont really know why this shuts the entire ski down unless igntion/power is running through it). I changed it out and I got the ski started again. I took it out and everything was fine until I got to high throttle again and the same thing happened. Now I have another relay that is bad. What is really puzzling me is that the fuse inline with the relay is not being blown. You would think the fuse would go before the relay/solenoid goes bad. Does anyone know what would be causing this issue?

+1
    It almost sounds like a lean seize. but if it is a couple of times usually does cylinder damage. you should look at the plugs if you haven't run it since the problem.
    you could jump across the solenoid to see if the starter engages.

I run cables from the battery directly to the starter and the starter engages fine. The motor turns over fine as well. The lean seize sound like a plausible issue since I had just adjusted carbs, but would this burn up the starter relay? Thx

+1
    When trying to start the engine just after a lean seize can burn up your starter and your solenoid if you just hold the start button down. but you would probably see smoke from the starter or starter wires. i have seen the solenoid stick after the ski wouldn't start but that usually happens with a low battery.

Alright I have ruled out a lean seize. I replaced the starter relay and the ski fired right up. I ran it around the lake for a good while never getting up over 5500rpm. I even towed a boat in from the lake. It ran great. Torwards the end of the day I decided to take it out and open it up. I got it up to wide open throttle and it ran there for about 30sec and then the engine just cut out again. Same exact thing, I get the start code when I go to restart it. The ski does not even attempt to start. It is odd, it is burning up the starter relay while its running at full speed and only at full speed. I am scratching my head at this one. Could it be a bad stator causing a short at full rpm?

+1
    It doesn't sound like the stator. It sounds like the battery is going dead once you reach a certain RPM. witch could be a regulator going bad.
    Don't rule out a lean seize witch usually happens at high RPM. when engine cools the engine could start unless there's a of of damage.
    Usually a solenoid goes bad from A low battery, the solenoid staying engaged (closed circuit) witch usually results in a burnt starter as well. water intrusion, the incorrect solenoid.

Thanks for the feedback. Before I took the ski out last time I changed the rectifier with one I took from my Yamaha xr 1800 boat. It is like there is a short at high RPM that kicks the ignition. I don't even get a chance to start it back up because the starter relay is toast when the ski shuts down. So the starter and battery are fine. My battery had around 13volts when I brought it back to shore. Could it be the ECU kicking it out?

+1
    OK if you suspect the alternator is overcharging and some how shorting the ECM to send power to the solenoid and kick it in at WOT. and toast the solenoid without frying the starter seems far fetched but i guess anything is possible. not to mention not frying the ECM.
    what you should do is wile trailered back it in the water put a volt meter on the battery and hold it WOT and see how much voltage the alternator is putting out. also have the electrical box open and test the voltage at the solenoid wile at WOT. see if there is voltage being sent to the small red wire and starter side of the solenoid.
    Let us know what you find.

+1
    Here's another thought just to through something out there. you could have a piece of cat. converter lodged in your water box causing the over heat circuit to shut the engine down and keep it from starting or even turn over. of course if the over heat did shut the engine down you should hear a warning beep unless it was bad or disconnected and you would see a warning on the display unless it also was bad and not visible. also a temp sensor going bad can do the same thing. just replaced one on a 2000 GP1200R doing the same thing.
    Well worth checking. disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it may be resetting everything making you think replacing the solenoid fixed the problem when it was a temp sensor the whole time.

Having same issue with my xlt did you find out what it was or get it fix?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information