Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

LMode How Does It Work

For the first time I put one of my skis in L mode for a friend to ride. Then I took it for a spin and noticed at just below 8K ski acts like its cavitating. How does L mode really work? I really didn't like the sound ski was making in the top RPM range of L mode.

BTW, we did 76 miles, mine in full mode and the other in L mode. We burnt exactly same fuel.

Does anyone know what L mode does to the engine? If it was only limiting the RPM by controlling the ignition why would ski start sounding as if it has sucked up kelp or cavitating?

2006 FX HO Cruiser

+1
    I searched a lot but no data from Yamaha on this.

+1
    Reza......I am no expert at this, but I believe it changes the ignition timing.........on the fly by wire ski's it also restricts the electronic throttle valve opening, not sure how it exactly works on the MR1 though.

+1
    Did you ever try it on your machine. I had never tried it in 3 years until I did this last weekend. I tell you it felt it does more bad than good. Sounded bad just like when I ran on 3 cylinder. I wonder if it start pouring extra gas by changing the ignition timing. No fuel savings either. The only benefit is if the machine is in the hands of an inexperienced person, you reduce hitting over 10K when getting unhooked. That's the only reason I did it as the person riding with me doesn't know anything about throttle control.

+1
    No, I have never used mine in low RPM mode.........never use the remote actually, it always stays unlocked! Something to play with & see if I get the same results as you next time I go out.

+1
    All the manual says is that the RPMs are limited to about 80% of normal.

Considering redline in normal mode is ~10,000RPM it sounds like you were bouncing off the L-mode (low-RPM mode) rev limiter as that would be right around 8,000RPM. I haven't used L-mode on our '07 to see what it does at the lower rev limit, though, so just speculating about what's going on with yours.

+1
    As I said I had it intentionally in L mode. It is more than a lev limiter. What ever they do is changing the way engine acts around the top RPM of LMode. Meaning if you were to keep your throttle in below 8K range, engine sounds way different than if you used the Lmode so they are not confining the RPM by just cutting the revving at 7800 or 8000K, they are changing the timing and perhaps even amount of fuel (lean/rich) changing too. It didn't sound healthy to me so I am wondering what Yamaha is exactly doing to limit their top RPM.

I am not sure how it works but I was told by my dealer that it's not a rev limiter. (I thought I might use it for the break in period.) He said it limits the speed but not RPMs. I haven't tried it yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kysoti View Post
    I am not sure how it works but I was told by my dealer that it's not a rev limiter. (I thought I might use it for the break in period.) He said it limits the speed but not RPMs. I haven't tried it yet.
    That doesn't even make sense, the impeller is connected via direct drive from the engine so you can't limit speed without limiting RPMs. Not sure if it was a salesman or a tech who said this at your dealer, but whoever it was doesn't seem to know what they're talking about.

+1
    it definitely limits RPM. I think it was 7800..No matter what you do, get unhooked from the water or not, the RPM will not go higher than that.
    My problem is I don't understand why it sounds and feels way different than a normal 7800 rpm, as if you were to control your RPM at 7800-8000 without unhooking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information