Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Honda F15x or Yamaha FZR/S???????

Hey guys i'm new to greenhulk. I have owned seadoos and Honda's. I currently have a Honda R12-x and love it.
    I am looking at upgrading to something a little newer and more powerful. I am a little bias towards Hondas so I am looking at a Honda F15x. The other ski i'm looking at is the Yamaha FZR/S. I know the Yamy will be quicker but i'm not to concerned as I know the honda will still have plenty of stick. I'm more lookin at handling of the ski, coming from the R12x I think it will be hard to find something that handles as good. Also how much worse is the FZR on fuel consumption than the F15x. My only other concern is that Honda no longer are in production although I have been told it wont be a problem to get parts and services as they are still manufacturing parts.

If I can get anyones thoughts on these two skis and which way will be the best way to go will be appreciated.

+1
    Hello and welcome ... my first thought the two skis are very different from one-another. The Yam FZR/S is built for speed and has very good rough water handeling & the ride is solid. It would be a whole new feeling that you had on your Honda R12x The Honda 15fx will also provide a more rush of a ride than your 12x. But by far ... the Yammi is Power & Speed ans long term security / reliabilit is what your looking for. Yammi will be around for a long long time. Good Luck.

+1
    I think you will love the Yamaha FZR/S...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189782

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    FZ!

Thanks for the reply guys. I know this isn't the sport/hobby to worry about fuel consumption but I know the Hondas are pretty good on fuel and just concern's me if I want to go on a big ride for a day that I will get half way and have to turn around when it comes to the FZ. Is this the case or am I miss led by fuel consumption of the yam. Can anyone give me a comparison of approximately how many hours you will get of average cruise speed riding of the F15x compared to the FZ.

Also what is the problem with the intake grate on the FZ and bucking???? What is it that causes this to happen and is it such a problem that I will have to get it changed straight away??

Thanks guys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by colvoo View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys. I know this isn't the sport/hobby to worry about fuel consumption but I know the Hondas are pretty good on fuel and just concern's me if I want to go on a big ride for a day that I will get half way and have to turn around when it comes to the FZ. Is this the case or am I miss led by fuel consumption of the yam. Can anyone give me a comparison of approximately how many hours you will get of average cruise speed riding of the F15x compared to the FZ.
    You can research the exact fuel use by checking the manufacturer's specs on both machines. The supercharged FZ's we have use about the same as our supercharged Sea-Doo RXT's; these are high peformance setups. If you want great speed with excellent fuel economy, I might suggest the non-supercharged VXR/S from Yamaha (same engine as the FZR/S).

Do you ride in the chop like the ocean or mostly smooth lakes and rivers? Do you see yourself being happy with 67 mph, or will you be wanting to mod the ski for more speed in the future? On your "big trip," how far do you need to go without fuel; 50 miles? 100 miles? These are important questions.

Also what is the problem with the intake grate on the FZ and bucking???? What is it that causes this to happen and is it such a problem that I will have to get it changed straight away??
    It appears to be an issue randomly created by the factory grate and pump. One of Sea-Doo's models has also been known to do this, but not as common. There has been a lot of speculation but no scientific testing on it. But out of thousands of units sold we were seeing some people injured here on the forum, so people like me lobbied to put a sticky up on it (which was done) so newbies like you would know about it. Some people have many hours on their FZ with the stock grate and have never had a problem, but we suggest the grate change just to be sure.

I haven't seen anyone claiming they have been bucked in a while; there was a guy last year who claims he came off when he let off the throttle in the waves (?) and there are some people on that sticky who I believe may have simply fallen off the ski for other reasons. But it seems like it has become a lot less common on the forum, which makes me wonder if this has possibly been corrected by Yamaha on the new models. Again, this is speculation.

The good news is, the R&D intake grate solves the problem and the FZ's have many other positives that far outweigh this one potential issue. In other words, I wouldn't hesitate to choose a new Yamaha FZ with a 5 year warranty over a ski like a Honda—which is a bit of a dinosaur at this point.
    Last edited by YoYamma; 04-29-2013 at 07:57 AM.

thanks for your input YaYamma. I do more rough water riding compared to smooth water lakes and dams. I guess my bigger trips would be about 150-200km (sorry don't know what this is in miles) or all up about 6 hours of riding at a moderate speed. I will have a look at the manufactures specs and see what I come up with. I appreciate your help

As i'm in Australia is the R&D intake plate easy to purchase and install. Apologise for any silly questions just never had much to do with yammy's

+1
    Okay for 100-125 mile rides in rough water, you can probably rule out the VXR/S, only because it has no trim and the hull is not going to be very comfortable in that situation. In my opinion you want something like the 2013 FX HO, this is a non-supercharged model which has the same great engine plus you get a trim system, plus it's going to give you great fuel economy combined with the FX series hull that is designed to ride better in the chop.

If you want more performance on the FX hull, you will need to look at the new FX SHO, which adds a supercharger to the mix, but you will give up some fuel economy if you start ripping around at WOT on that supercharger. That's just the way it is.

My suggestion is to come over to the Yamaha performance section, or maybe have the moderator move this thread over there, where you will get more input from other Yamaha owners. Here's a link to the FX HO...
    http://www.yamahawaverunners.com/fxho

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Both are great ski's. The F-15X is better in the rough than the FZ, by far. The FZ can go faster with mods, by far. The Honda is very reliable, as is the FZ. There are no issues with the Honda stock. Only issue with FZ is loading which has been discussed.
    I have seen modded F-15X's that go high 70's and are reliable.
    Just a matter of choice really. If you primarily ride in smooth water FZ of F-15X. Rough choppy stuff F-15X.

+1
    As i'm in Australia is the R&D intake plate easy to purchase and install. Apologise for any silly questions just never had much to do with yammy's
    Yes it only takes a few minutes to install and you can get them from Jerry's online store here on Green Hulk.
    One question; I know Honda stopped making their PWC in 2009; are you still able to buy a new F15X unit in Australia with a full warranty? I called our local Honda dealer this morning and they told me they couldn't even order the F15X any more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information