6, 8, or 10 ply for 10" tires?

Hello All,

I'm replacing the wheels / tires on a recently acquired Shoreland'r trailer; double with two 1996 Sea-Doo GTX's.
    Shoreland'r show's a tire spec of 20.5x8.0-10E for a comparable new model of this trailer; I'm assuming the E designates a 10 ply based upon that's what's used on LT truck tires to designate a 10 ply tire.

Price is a VERY minor difference between the different ply tires so that's a non-issue.
    I'm assuming best to stick w/ the 10 ply?
    10 seams to be overkill and just wondering if an 8 ply would provide a smoother ride for the trailer. This trailer does have a torsion axle so I may be over thinking things a bit...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    I would be working from the tire weight ratings and sidewall air pressure ratings, rather than from the ply count.

You want the replacement tire to be rated equal to, or greater than, the trailer manufacturer's tire specification for the trailer, in terms of weight rating.

Do you want to upgrade to a larger diameter tire? In general, larger diameter trailer tires provide greater weight carry spec, easier rolling resistance, and smoother ride.

My own preference is for the largest diameter tires that will fit under the fenders and carry the rated trailer total weight (trailer weight plus load weight). 'Fitting under the fenders' means the tire will not rub even when the axle is at max jounce upwards against the bump stop during a really hard road bump.

Thread Information