Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Calling all laptop/computer nerds!! I'm in need of some help deciding.

Hey everyone it's been a while since i've posted on here(LONG STORY)

But i need your help im going this afternoon to look at some new laptops and I know i want to stick with hp(my last laptop lasted about 6 years, and my desktop which is ancient is still running strong). I really dont want to spend anything more then $500. I've been looking around and in that price range the only processors i can find are the AMD A6 and A8 series along with one model with the intel i3 processor. all have 4gb memory and the hd space is more then enough for what i will ever use. I need some input on the AMD and intel more or less pros and cons. I'm just going to be using it for basic home computing, and using it to do my finances. Please help!

+1
    To be fair all the brands in that price range are going to be similar quality. If you watch slickdeals.net you should be able to find a nice i5 w/ intel 4000 graphics for around that price. Another option would be Dell Outlet w/ coupons.

+1
    Would you spend a little bit more for the intel processor or the amd? I need one by tomorrow otherwise i would try that slick deal

Banned User
    +1
    I get this question a lot just before XMAS when people want to hit the sales, and to be honest, years ago it was a factor to have the right CPU/HD/Memory...those made a huge difference.

BUT NOW, most laptops are pretty damn good for doing the basic stuff (surfing, email, etc)...so if thats your requirements, then you need to not worry about the internals, as they are all very good...You need to choose between the things you are going to be USING on it......Thats why I tell people to actually GO TO the store and look at it....Look at the screen, look at the keyboard layout, look at the connections and their placement......These are the things you deal with all the time, so pick the one that works for you...

My mother-in-law wanted a new laptop at XMAS, so she picked out 2 at the store when we were there. She could not decided, both were IDENTICAL specs. The difference was as simple as this. I asked her where she would be using it the most, and she said while she sat on one of their couches in the living room. I asked "Which side of the couch", so she told me the side near the table, which when sitting on the couch, meant all the way to the right...I looked at both laptops, and the deciding factor was the POWER PLUG. One unit had it on the back left corner, which meant the cable would always be draped across her legs from left to right...and the other had it on the right side, meaning it would come up on the side of her leg and couch, and not get tangled when she would put it down to get up...DONE!

Plus that one ended up being about $40 cheaper, around $400ish... I find that decent laptops, non gaming and flagship ones, go for between $400-500 range...

+1
    Best deal I could find right now for one in your price range (but you have to ship it to store or home):

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...45&PID=4485850

Or for a little more than your price range that you can pick up in a store asap and walk out with:

HP Pavilion dv6-7135nr laptop with Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD,Bluetooth, Webcam,15.6-inch HD LED Display, for $589.99 @ OfficeMax B&M from 4/28-5/4 the specs link is here - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...850&aoid=35252

Also just my experiences but I'll never ever have an AMD anything.

+1
    Personally, for any tech shopping I do it in the following order:
    #1 go here
    http://www.techbargains.com/
    http://www.newegg.com

Laptops: I had 2 Toshiba models and they are pretty good for their price.
    HP and Dell are good options. As stated before, best thing is to go to a store and look at something, if they have a model and the same is cheaper online they will price match.

+1
    I wouldnt buy another HP if they paid me....I keep buying them and within 2 years they crap out...The current one I am using has been repaired 3 times and is less than a year old....HP will never get another dime of my money..I bought a DV7 with an I7.My fiance has a new Toshiba with an I5 and she loves it but only uses it for FB and little games

Banned User
    +1
    I've been extremely lucky with my 7 year old HP DV something-still works, and I haven't changed the battery!!! gone through a few power cords, but that's it.
    I wanted a 17" screen, capable of 1900X1200. Back then it was $800.
    The ones you find now, even though they say HD(14/15" screens), are not 1080P HD, or 720P HD. Even the 17" models not stop at 1920X1080-which pisses me off-because I too am looking for a new laptop-but, I want a 17" screen, at 1900X1200-and the only one's I find are well over $1000!!!!

Good luck in your search. Subscribing to see what you get.
    OH, one more thing-if at all possible, AVOID Windows 8!!! That's going to be almost impossible-but, I haven't heard anything good about that operating system.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    I've been extremely lucky with my 7 year old HP DV something-still works, and I haven't changed the battery!!! gone through a few power cords, but that's it.
    I wanted a 17" screen, capable of 1900X1200. Back then it was $800.
    The ones you find now, even though they say HD(14/15" screens), are not 1080P HD, or 720P HD. Even the 17" models not stop at 1920X1080-which pisses me off-because I too am looking for a new laptop-but, I want a 17" screen, at 1900X1200-and the only one's I find are well over $1000!!!!

Good luck in your search. Subscribing to see what you get.
    OH, one more thing-if at all possible, AVOID Windows 8!!! That's going to be almost impossible-but, I haven't heard anything good about that operating system.
    Nothing to worry about really, 8 actually runs with less resources and faster than 7 but the interface is garbage. If you install a 3rd party gui like Classic Shell it's pretty slick.

+1
    windows 8 influenced me to go apple. Bought a I pad 32g and a mac book pro with 15" retnia display. Screw microsoft!

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information