Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about gas

I have a 2012 GTI SE 130 and have always used 87 octane,now the gas today has 15 percent ethanol in it,There is a gas station near me that sells ethanol free gas but its 90 octane can I run the 90 octane in my ski and not have to worry about hurting it? my dealer told me nothing more then 87 octane,I think the ethanol free gas would be better for it but not sure about the extra octane. By the way this ethanol free gas is only 10 cents more a gallon. Thanks for the help

Banned User
    +1
    I can't imagine the difference between 87 and 90 hurting anything. If it were me, I would run the ethanol free any chance you get. I run nothing but ethanol free in my machines.

3. +1 by:

Thats what I figured but wanted to ask, Thanks BryanP

+1
    Man i wish we had ethanol free gas stations around. Ive used Sonoco 91 Octane exclusively in my 2011 GTI130 and havent had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
    Man i wish we had ethanol free gas stations around. Ive used Sonoco 91 Octane exclusively in my 2011 GTI130 and havent had any issues.
    its nice to have, got tired of having to rebuild the carb on my gas string trimmer from the ethanol messing it up. My ski will run on it all summer now that I know the 90 octane wont hurt it.

"...my dealer told me nothing more then 87 octane..."

I have no clue way a dealer would say such a thing. Excess octane will yield a VERY, VERY small decrease in power that will be TOTALLY undetectable by 99.99% of us. It will NOT hurt an engine! No way, no how. Excess octane is harmless, too little octane is trouble. Fuel with too little octane can cause serious damage. I'd buy high octane non ethanol fuel in a heart beat.

Frankly, what your dealer said would give me great pause listening to anything else they have to say.

+1
    BRP says not to run fuel with 15% ethanol, they say they dont have anything that will work with it and that 10% is all you should run

It was the salesman I had and I found out he was new there and had only been working there for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    BRP says not to run fuel with 15% ethanol, they say they dont have anything that will work with it and that 10% is all you should run
    I will run the 90 octane with no ethanol in it from now on,I just hope the gas station that sells it never closes,from what I read on the gas pumps around me at all the other gas stations has 15 percent ethanol,That is what I ran in it all last summer,I didnt find the station with ethanol free gas till this past winter. But for sure it will only get ethanol free gas from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by taz01 View Post
    I will run the 90 octane with no ethanol in it from now on,I just hope the gas station that sells it never closes,from what I read on the gas pumps around me at all the other gas stations has 15 percent ethanol,That is what I ran in it all last summer,I didnt find the station with ethanol free gas till this past winter. But for sure it will only get ethanol free gas from now on.
    Good decision on the gas choice. Hopefully the folks in the service area know more than the rookie salesperson! I sold my entire career...sometimes the best answer is "I don't know, but I'll find out for you.".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information