Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Frozen boost type 14 intercooler mounting brackets

I spent the weekend mounting up the type 14 intercooler. After going thru many threads and copying the mounting brackets, I finally decided on this style and deciding what to do took the longest. This was seriously a level 5 on a scale of one to ten b/c the space is tiny and the intake manifold needed room (easy access) to remove. Anyhow, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited by tcr0148; 04-28-2013 at 06:41 PM.

+1
    Good Job tcr, I have to set up one in a couple days myself so thanks for sharing your ideas. I'll post mine also when i'm finished. Remember those threaded holes go right into the pressure area of the intercooler, so be sure you seal them on final bolt up, otherwise they may leak boost pressure.

+1
    I used Teflon tape on the mounting bolts that go into the intercooler. I thought about that during the 50 plus fit test that I did to get in to the right place.
    Last edited by tcr0148; 04-28-2013 at 09:43 PM.

+1
    Very good intercooler, i have the same one and it works great

+1
    if you notice, the mounting bracket on the lower mount is iron and not Alum. This mount is contoured to the bottm of the ski which allowed me to mount it as low as possible. Being that this things is pretty heavy to begin with, I figured that lower is better. It is sitting in the bottom of that little recessed channel with a 1" layer of styrofoam under the intercooler just in case it decided to move while hitting waves. Just a note: the bottom of my hull under the oil pan has a bolt hungry demon that eats every bolt that comes his way...........be sure and put a large towel in that space or like me be prepared to make a trip to the hardware store.

LOL @ bolt hungry demon.i installed one of these just last week and you have to have a childs hands to do this job almost.hardest part for me was lengthening the lower bracket so the intercooler would sit up straight in the space between the motor mount and the hull.i also relocated the wiring harness,reverse,and trim cable to over and infront of the intercooler to keep them from getting worn from rubbing on the intercooler.your brackets look good i only wish i would of seen this thread before hand as it would of saved me alot of headscratching.your mods look dead simular to mine what GPS speed are you getting now ?

+1
    I installed the lower bracket on to the intercooler first. Then secured it to the tab on the block. As for as speed goes, I honestly could not tell you.....I have not made a run on a GPS yet. At this point I am not really concerned with speed with the level of mods. If i had to guess, I would say in the lower 70's b/c my buddies GPR's run about 72 and I can always hole shot them and slightly pull away from them on WOT runs

+1
    It's an great intercooler. At WOT with an ET15.5 I was seeing IAT's of mid 90's on an 80* day.

+1
    Thats great news on the temps. I have a Engine tech. 15.5 wheel waiting on a few supporting mods and I'll be up and running again. Mud bug is coming up

+1

My type 14 intercooler setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intercooler pics 033.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	300455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intercooler pics 036.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	300456I Decided to go this route with type 14 intercooler because i need it to drain all the water from the chamber since we race and ride in salt water, this would make the cooler last much longer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intercooler pics 030.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	300454
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intercooler pics 028.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	300453

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information