Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polaris MSX needs turbo or heat exchanger

Last year I took my 04 MSX to the shop they said it was in need of a Turbo & Heat Exchanger. Sounds to me like it could just be the heat exchanger.. Has anyone had any similar issues or experience with this model? Also Looked into a used or aftermarket Turbo. What is my next step to take to get it back in working order-

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Are you going to be working on this machine yourself?

+1
    Welcome! Tell us more about your ski so we can help you diagnosis the issue.

What are your symptoms? Overheating? Check engine light on the display? Running poorly? Not reving to full RPMs (if so, what's it go to now?)?

When did it last run properly?

The heat exchanger uses fresh water to pull the heat out of the coolant (which is a closed loop for engine, oil and turbo cooling). Whereas the turbo makes the boost that give the engine it's power. So I'm unclear on how the two are related. Tell us what the dealer explained.

Cheers!

Sorry I am really posting about this for a 3rd party who bought it used. It was brought to the shop because it has coolant in oil/ smoking.. I

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PolarisMSX_zps58c79047.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	299753
    Last edited by K447; 04-28-2013 at 11:35 PM.

+1
    CDA Polaris... cool... that's local to me... just down the road.

Oil in the coolant... this very well could be a bad turbo. If the turbo center cartridge is blown... it would blow oil out of the center into the intake (as mentioned in diagnosis) and it would very likely also blow oil out into the hot exhaust side and smoke like described. You should be able to move the intercooler... remove the single airbox bolt and slide the airbox forward and get your fingers into the intake of the turbo. Gently grab the shaft and see if it wiggles side-to-side much. If it's all loose in there... it's shot. If it doesn't wiggle but only spins... then *probably* not blown. You should also see how much oil you find in the intake. Although... the #1 cause of oil in the intake is the dreaded oil ingestion problem (caused by oil level too high, or moisture in the oil causing foaming)... so oil found in the turbo inlet could be ingestion and not a blown turbo.

What they call the heat exchanger is actually called the oil cooler... and the part # confirms. This is a smaller round pipe-like cooler under the intercooler on the front of the engine. This has coolant and oil trading heat in it. You can test this... but you gotta remove it... and that's not easy to do in the ski... plus you'd have to drain both oil and coolant systems to pull it. But you can pressurize the to oil lines in the cooler and see if they leak. So if they gotta pull it... they'd probably just replace it like they have indicated.

Curious why you'd need a new coolant bottle... old one damaged?
    Curious why you'd need a new wastegate solenoid ("boost control valve)... unless they tested it and it doesn't work anymore?

How many hours are on the ski?

Turbos do go bad... so that's not out of the realm of possibility. And the smoking does point there. A leaking oil cooler wouldn't cause smoke.

And oil coolers could leak... but it's pretty rare. I'd bet more on the turbo... but since they gotta really dismantle the engine and partially move it around to get the turbo/manifold off... they probably want to hedge their bets and replace the oil cooler while they're there... so as to not have to do it again.

So basically... the diagnosis doesn't sound too far off. Of course the prices are painfully high... being a dealer and all. I hate to say it... but unless your keeping the ski for the long term... hard to justify it's worth that amount of $$. We can't sell them in our area for that much.

Cheers!

I have seen several different used factory turbos on the internet, how much work and is it worth it to throw a used one on?

+1
    It's quite a job actually. The exhaust turbo manifold is held on by studs that come out of the head. So you can't just unbolt it and wiggle it out. You have to dismantle a bunch on the engine so you can lift it off the engine mounts and rotate it so the exhaust side faces the rear so you can get enough clearance to get the turbo/manifold off the studs. It's so incredibly tight in there... no room to work.

But you could do it... and would only need a pair of exhaust manifold gaskets to replace along with the turbo manifold.

Cheers!

+1
    need to bring that thing down to dallas when your ready bro well tear it up on the lake

-Troy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    It's quite a job actually. The exhaust turbo manifold is held on by studs that come out of the head. So you can't just unbolt it and wiggle it out. You have to dismantle a bunch on the engine so you can lift it off the engine mounts and rotate it so the exhaust side faces the rear so you can get enough clearance to get the turbo/manifold off the studs. It's so incredibly tight in there... no room to work.

But you could do it... and would only need a pair of exhaust manifold gaskets to replace along with the turbo manifold.

Cheers!
    Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=281101076464

hello ,
    have you reading this post :
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=159032
    you can find a new turbo for replace original one with compressor wheel mor bigger to max 650-800 dollars ,i you want i can give you a price email me.
    Phil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information