+1

Getting water out of pump bearing housing?

A cone I was trying out didn't have a good seal, so I got water in my grease. Is there a way to get it all out without disassembling the whole thing?

+1
    So...I was thinking of blasting it out with brake cleaner or something, but then I don't think I would be able to get the grease packed all the way back in between the bearings. Any suggestions, or am I going to have to take it apart?

+1
    take it apart and put new bearings/seals IMO... once the rust starts, the bearings will go out quickly

+1
    Are you sure it was the cone that caused water intrusion and not the front seals going bad?

Either way, if you don't plan on rebuilding it (which would probably be a good idea now), I would at least remove the pump from the ski.

Then you could stand it upside down and blast all the old grease out with compressed air and a mild solvent. After you do that you can use a synthetic gear oil, or as some people do a blend of grease and gear oil. That will penetrate down into the bearings.

I used Royal Purple manual transmission fluid in mine mixed with marine grease. I think it will lubricate the same as that grease, if not better. Who knows though, it might have been grease in the first place because it wont leak out over time like a lighter weight oil would. Only time will tell for me.

+1
    I just rebuilt it when I assembled the riva pump, which is why I'm really trying to avoid tearing it back apart. It's out of the ski. Yes, I'm sure it was from the cone because it happened when I was testing out some cone spacers. I found that the o-ring mating surface on one of the spacers had a slight machining flaw in it when i took it off. All the water seems to have stayed isolated in the cone area aft of the bearings once I started cleaning the grease out. I only rode for about 15-20 minutes on the test that it happened on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    I just rebuilt it when I assembled the riva pump, which is why I'm really trying to avoid tearing it back apart. It's out of the ski. Yes, I'm sure it was from the cone because it happened when I was testing out some cone spacers. I found that the o-ring mating surface on one of the spacers had a slight machining flaw in it when i took it off. All the water seems to have stayed isolated in the cone area aft of the bearings once I started cleaning the grease out. I only rode for about 15-20 minutes on the test that it happened on.
    Maybe try using a light weight oil to flush it out a few times. I would use a gear oil for the final fill up though. Im sure even lower unit oil from outboards would work. Yamaha says to fill 1/3rd of the pump cone and 1/3rd of the bearing housing with grease. Since you can't fill the pump cone with oil before popping it on, I just filled the pump housing up almost to the top, and then installed the rear cone. That yamaha grease is hard to find apparently.

+1
    Yeah, I use a mix of synthetic gear oil and synthetic grease instead of trans fluid and grease. I thought of flushing it with PD680 (an aircraft dry clean solvent/light oil) to flush and clean because it will also displace the water, then refill it with my slurry mix. Maybe shoot some 10/10 oil through before refilling.

Thread Information