Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

2000 Yamaha 1200 XL Limited problems

I recently bought a 2000 1200 XL Limited with 140hrs. I tookit out this weekend and noticed some things that might be issues? aybe someone can offer some insight.
    Starting: when the ski is first started for the firstseveral minutes if you try to go WOT the ski will bog down and die. It seemslike it’s not getting fuel, almost like the fuel is slow running through thelines. Once it gets fuel its fine.
    Riding with two people: the ski leans to one side eitherright or left and is hard to get to bring back to level without turning sharplyto the other side then back center.
    Cruising: the top speed is only 50 [email protected] 7000 RPM…isthat normal?
    The mechanic told me the compression checked good and thecarbs were also just rebuilt.
    Thanks for any help.

I believe replacing the ride plate with a RIVA or R&D may fix the lean issue.

+1
    Check your sponsons, if you have these
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	299862  

+1
    Replace them with these. This, along with the rideplate/grate upgrade should solve your leaning issue. A new Rideplate should get you a few more mph's too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	299863  

+1
    I have the first sponsons, will be changing those out in short order...Thanks.

Do you know what the top speed should be. I thought I should be getting 60mph stock.

Also it's puzzling me why the first few minutes on the ski I can't go WOT without killing the engine...will using choke solve that?

+1
    There is a cheap mod to eliminate to choke all together. It replaces it with a primer, and helps with cold starts. Honestly, I bought the ski with the primer, so not sure if theres an issue with the choke.

+1
    And stock speed is around 50-55. A few mods should get you close to 60.

It sounds like your accelerator pump is clogged. It injects fuel when you punch it. Also no need for primer on a ski with an accelerator pump. A couple quick pumps of the throttle will inject fuel straight into the carb

+1
    Yes there is a need for a primer on a ski with an accell pump if it won't start easy. Many yamaha's are hard to start even when the accell pump works. My new XLT was hard to start cold from day one, rebuild carbs a few years ago, pump checked out perfect. Still hard to start. Install primer, no more problem. No need to wear your starter out if a primer will correct the problem. this fix has worked for several other boats I have worked on.
    For reference, GPR's and XLT's accell pump only injects on cyl 1 & 3.
    My GPR never needed a primer, it always started right up so I don't know why some start easy and some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    It sounds like your accelerator pump is clogged. It injects fuel when you punch it. Also no need for primer on a ski with an accelerator pump. A couple quick pumps of the throttle will inject fuel straight into the carb

+1
    You may want to check speedo paddle wheel down on the rideplate. a few weed hairs and such about the sides of paddlewheel slow the speedo down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryallen View Post
    I have the first sponsons, will be changing those out in short order...Thanks.

Do you know what the top speed should be. I thought I should be getting 60mph stock.

Also it's puzzling me why the first few minutes on the ski I can't go WOT without killing the engine...will using choke solve that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information