Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First stand up ski, tips/hints so forth

Hey guys, pretty much I am completely new to the stand up crowd, I have jet-ski's (sit down) but I have been wanting to make the change for a while now, have just been procrastinating because I never go buy something going in blind, after all, knowledge is power. I was contemplating buying a 440/450 but I have been told by a couple of mates that I'll get over it and want more to quickly, I am just wondering if anyone has some advice, what ski I should get and things to look for and so forth.
    A little bit of info to help, I am 5'11 75kg's, good coordination. I will be wanting to wave jump EVENTUALLY.

Banned User
    +1
    If you want a good cheap kawi 650x if you can swing the cost buy a 800sxr

+1
    If you'd want good speed and more of a cruising/racing ski, get a kawi (750sx, 750 sxi pro, 800sxr). If you think you'll be getting into freestyle and throwing backflips/barrel rolls off of those waves, get a yamaha superjet. I personally prefer Kawasaki over the yamahas, personal preference. Check out X-H2O if you want more info and hep deciding, the amount of information about stand-ups on there is endless

Thanks for the replies, yeah I wasn't looking to spend TO much, which comes to the next dilemma is it better spending less starting out, or spending more.

+1
    Have you ever ridden a standup?

+1
    First and foremost, serious welcome to the forum and the world of stand-up skis. FWIW a lot of us cut our teeth on 440/550s. It's your call on the less vs more up front, but here's a few facts:

The Kawi 440/550 hull is the hardest to learn on and has the longest learning curve. They are also cheap to buy.
    The kawi SXR is the easiest to learn on - with even minimal effort you can be up and turning in full control within the first hour. It is costly because they are still RELATIVELY new - at least compared to a '80s or '90s ski. Good luck finding one in good shape for under 4k.
    The Yamaha Superjet is a more stable ride that a 440/550 and is easier to learn on but are comparatively more expensive because of this - even for old ones.
    A lot of people compare the ride of a 650SX to that of an "old Cadillac" - they have OK power, less-than-optimum handling and in stock form they get you there with ease. They are easier than a 550 to learn on, but again, almost everyone wants to upgrade sooner than later.

I agree with everything Radcon15 said (I also have a Kawasaki bias - I love "the carve" of a 750 and 800, SJs just ride too flat for me), at 75kg a good 550 will work for you if you are very, VERY patient, but a Superjet or Kawi 750 will likely be a long-term "keeper" for you where as almost all 550 buyers I know are looking to upgrade within a year. If you can swing a SXI Pro or SXR, you will never look back.

If you are patient, mastering a stand-up will be one of the most rewarding things you will ever do (especially in the surf!!!). Best of luck, keep us posted as to what you end up doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey guys, thank's a lot for all the replies and information!
    I have actually just bought a 550sx, because I didn't wanna spend a whole lot of cash for my first one. I tested it, compression tested it, both holes 150 psi. Has a new jet unit. Also all new hoses, was a great bargain! I took it out today for about 15 minutes ( I live on the back of a river) I stood up second go, was turning by the 4th go, I just now need to perfect it! I would love some information about these, for one. It has no disabling unit, If I fall off the ski, it doesn't stop, I don't know if this is stock or they have taken it off. If so, what is the best safety feature to do here? I would also like to know if there is any oils I should be leaning towards (to mix with fuel) Last off all, is there any mods I should considering doing, or should I keep it bone stock?
    Thanks for taking the time !

You need an updated start stop switch. Its just the front housing. You can find them on ebay for 40 bucks

+1
    Congratulations! The 550sx is a great choice of all of the 440/550 possibilities out there, and especially for what you accomplished in a short amount of time - it only gets better from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    You need an updated start stop switch. Its just the front housing. You can find them on ebay for 40 bucks
    +1, beyond that, I would suggest leaving the engine stock until you completely master it. As you can see, they are very fun as-is.

Should you decide to do some upgrades, the best upgrade you can do now is to swap to a stainless steel impeller (if it hasn't been already), the stock aluminum ones are very crude by today's standards. Talk to Skat-Trak directly, they can dial you in on what is currently available - the latest 13/16 progressive pitch ones are better than the 15, 16 or 17 degree straight pitch impellers sold back in the day. If the ride plate and scoop grate are stock, there's great room for improvement there with aftermarket ones (I liked a OceanPro grooved and finned plate for mine). Another popular add-on is a stronger-than-stock pole spring or at least a spring end "raiser block"- both are designed to make the pole feel much lighter. Be aware that pretty much everything you will buy for this ski will need to be used as nobody makes parts for them anymore (Skat-Trak excepted). In fact, most of the companies - PJS, Westcoast, OceanPro, etc. don't exist anymore.

One last thing: in the end, if you feel like you want more speed/stability/whatever, resist the urge to pour hundreds in to your 550. Instead, find a few of the previously mentioned skis to try first.

The good news is that if you learn to ride a 550 really well, you can ride ANYTHING really well!!! Again, serious congrads on your purchase and welcome!
    W
    Last edited by ImpactSportsTV; 04-30-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information