Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

extra oil killed my top speed!!

So at the end of last season the dealership had to do warranty work on my 09 rxpx (vts was broke)top speed was 67mph gps. Since they had it so long waiting for parts, they did a "free" oil change and winterization. Over the winter i bought several upgrades. 4in fizzle, fizzle catch can, free flow exhaust, riva intake manifold upgrade, 15/22R, speedfreaks nose cone, new oem wearring, riva pump wedge & rod, 83mm nozzle, riva sponsons, filled the ride plate holes and trimmed the reverse bucket. So my buddy and I go out today for some speed runs and the ski is only doing 69 on gps in 50* water. We check everything and its all hooked up, no leaks. I check the oil and its about an inch above the top bend. We bring it back to my house and suck oil out to the top bend. Go out and it does 76 mph on gps. just get home again and the oil level is just above the top bend. I read that it should be between the 2 bends so i sucked out more till it was right there.(with a level on the rub rail) My question is.... is is possible that the dealership had almost 2 extra quarts of oil in it?? i started it for a few seconds and re checked and oil is right in the middle with no warning lights or anything. I just dont wanna run it dry. Thanks.... MIke

+1
    Been running mine there for 4 years. "Is it possible the dealer put to much oil?" Absofawkinglutly!!!

I'm patiently waiting for your updated top speed...

+1
    I wish that would have been my issue...

Ripper

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...97#post2154097

75.6 is official reading. rpm is 8120-8160 at wot. we keep loosing the plugs for the rideplate any suggestions??

+1
    this is true and very old news LOL

+1
    Oil height is a sneaky little speed muncher.
    Use an 80grit (or something rough) on the cylindrical bolt hole walls, clean with brake cleaner, wrap/fold duct tape into a short segment and stuff around/covering bolt, then fill with the white jb weld. I had one pop out, but it was my error. Lasted a year on a stock plate, and over a year on a riva plate now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Oil height is a sneaky little speed muncher.
    Use an 80grit (or something rough) on the cylindrical bolt hole walls, clean with brake cleaner, wrap/fold duct tape into a short segment and stuff around/covering bolt, then fill with the white jb weld. I had one pop out, but it was my error. Lasted a year on a stock plate, and over a year on a riva plate now.
    Make that JB WATER WELD.

+1
    my oil level is at the top bump, would i notice any difference from there to in between the bumps?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chartersj View Post
    my oil level is at the top bump, would i notice any difference from there to in between the bumps?

You want your oil level to be more than half, but less than full.....2/3-3/4 is preferred...

Years ago we changed the oil in my father's 04 GTX, while at the same time putting in a new prop...I made sure his oil was at 1/2, and he said to fill it. I explained to him the issue and why...He agreed and the next day when we went out, he gets all pissed and angry. He's down 600rpm and is wanting that prop out NOW, IT SUCKS....We get home, and i notice oil coming out of the dip stick...I check it, its 2 inches above the notch...I'm like "DAD, WTF!"...His answer, "oh, I added a quart after you left...its fine.".....I bitched him out, because I was just about to pull the prop and do some major repitching to chase 600 rpm....I sucked the oil out, left it half stick, and I said "leave it alone, we are going out tomorrow...I want to see the difference"....Next day, he's only 100 rpm low. He was amazed at how the PROP ran now.....When it got cold out, he was on the limiter. Never touched the prop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information