+1

how to test my fuel pump on my msx 150 ???

So after changing the broken gear of my waterpump , put everything back together.... everything its connected ( double checked ) . It doesn't start > compression is good one its 125 the other 129 , there is fire from the spark plugs. Battery full charged and drops @ 10.79 volts when pushing the start button. I checked the injectors and found there was not fuel coming from them so i checked them both above 15 ohms so they're good. I found the fuel pump fuse blown and replaced . don't have a fuel pressure gauge to test but manually i pushed the valve in the injectors rail and there isn't any pressure at all.

thanks . Isaac

+1
    what valve on the fuel injector rail are you pushing to check pressure?

So the obvious... gas in tank, fuel pump connector plugged in (top of tank... this one got me my first time), lanyard inserted.

When you tap the starter button... you hear the engine turn over... do you hear the fuel pump hum as it primes? Not to be confused with the ETB clicks and sounds.

Your display wakes up when you try to start, right?

Your ski ran before tear-down right? So fuel pump worked previously?

I have wondered how best to test fuel pressure. The manual implies an inline schrader valve... but I don't have one... nor do I have one on the fuel rail... guess we could cut the supply hose and insert an inline schrader valve... but I'd like a non-altering method. You could use make an insert where the supply line plugs in one end... Tee with gauge in the middle... and on the other end have another fitting to connect to the fuel rail... using these
    http://www.weberpower.com/parts-webe...e-fitting.html
    http://www.weberpower.com/parts-webe...connector.html

Then you could remove it and put it back to normal when done. Manual states fuel pressure should be 43.5 psi + BOOST @ IDLE, Approximately 59 PSI (4.1 bar) @ WOT

But as to why your pump is not running... hmmm. The battery voltage must be 10.5v while starting... perhaps your right on the edge?

If your getting spark...that would imply the needed engine position sensors were working... I'm guessing these same sensors tell the ECU when to squirt.

Next might be getting the wiring diagram and tracing power to the pump connector. Good luck!

Cheers!

+1
    Make sure you have the fuel hoses the right way round. It has happened before.

+1
    Yes it did worked before i got it apart. My fuel rail have the schrader valve and there isnt anything coming out of it. I am gonna look for the pump sound if it does that, next would be a diagram to see if its getting enough voltage

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    what valve on the fuel injector rail are you pushing to check pressure?

So the obvious... gas in tank, fuel pump connector plugged in (top of tank... this one got me my first time), lanyard inserted.

When you tap the starter button... you hear the engine turn over... do you hear the fuel pump hum as it primes? Not to be confused with the ETB clicks and sounds.

Your display wakes up when you try to start, right?

Your ski ran before tear-down right? So fuel pump worked previously?

I have wondered how best to test fuel pressure. The manual implies an inline schrader valve... but I don't have one... nor do I have one on the fuel rail... guess we could cut the supply hose and insert an inline schrader valve... but I'd like a non-altering method. You could use make an insert where the supply line plugs in one end... Tee with gauge in the middle... and on the other end have another fitting to connect to the fuel rail... using these
    http://www.weberpower.com/parts-webe...e-fitting.html
    http://www.weberpower.com/parts-webe...connector.html

Then you could remove it and put it back to normal when done. Manual states fuel pressure should be 43.5 psi + BOOST @ IDLE, Approximately 59 PSI (4.1 bar) @ WOT

But as to why your pump is not running... hmmm. The battery voltage must be 10.5v while starting... perhaps your right on the edge?

If your getting spark...that would imply the needed engine position sensors were working... I'm guessing these same sensors tell the ECU when to squirt.

Next might be getting the wiring diagram and tracing power to the pump connector. Good luck!

Cheers!

+1
    Fuel hoses are just as they suppose to be , as one of them is a return hose right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Make sure you have the fuel hoses the right way round. It has happened before.

+1
    Yes... The line coming from the fuel filter canister (beside gas tank) is the supply and goes on the forward most rail connection. The other line is the return and it connects on the rearmost rail connection above the fuel pressure regulator.

Can you take a picture of the schrader valve on your fuel rail? I've seen mine, and another... and a few on ebay... and I don't see any schrader valve on the fuel rail. You sure your not thinking of the fuel pressure regulator, roundy thing on the rear end of the fuel rail? This has a hose connector on the underside for a vac/pressure source line off the side of the intake manifold.

Cheers!

+1
    Here is a pic of the valve on my fuel rail..... when i pushed there isnt any pressure at all .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo valve.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	299945

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Yes... The line coming from the fuel filter canister (beside gas tank) is the supply and goes on the forward most rail connection. The other line is the return and it connects on the rearmost rail connection above the fuel pressure regulator.

Can you take a picture of the schrader valve on your fuel rail? I've seen mine, and another... and a few on ebay... and I don't see any schrader valve on the fuel rail. You sure your not thinking of the fuel pressure regulator, roundy thing on the rear end of the fuel rail? This has a hose connector on the underside for a vac/pressure source line off the side of the intake manifold.

Cheers!

+1
    That's like a combo female fuel rail connector and schrader valve in one... very cool. I've not seen one of those on an MSX. That's pretty darn useful.

So yeah... that's the supply fuel line and you should be getting pressure at that valve anytime the fuel pump is running. So if your not... then your fuel pump isn't running for some reason. You said there was a blown fuse... have you checked that the replacement one didn't also blow? I'd also throw the battery on a tender or charger and be positive it's not the cranking volts... you mentioned 10.75v cranking... which seems just on the edge. Next up would be tracing power in the wires. Good luck!

Cheers!

Thread Information