Lake Conroe (Montgomery,) Texas

In-dash, 2 1/16" USA made GPS speedometer

Neither OEM speedo works on either of my 1996 XP skis. Even if they did, I know the info they show is pretty much worthless. I only trust gps. We don't really need to know how fast we're going but I'm anal and I really want to know .

So I did some internet searching today and found this US gauge company called Speedhut. Based out of Utah, all of their gauges are 100% USA made with no outsourcing.

They've got this neat little 2 1/16" diameter gps speedometer:

Click on "more" under Features included and you'll see that Speedhut claims the gauge is water resistant. That's not the same as "water proof!"

Under their FAQ here: you can read that Speedhut will add silicone (no extra charge) under the bezels for additional water protection to the gauges.

I called and spoke with Jessica earlier today and she talked to an engineer and he didn't feel that these gauges would last long in a jet ski environment. The concern was the aft portion of the gauge body. In other words, it sounds like the front side can be pretty much waterproofed but the body is another problem.

If you go back to my first link and then click on one of the two pictures at the bottom of the left hand, description column, you'll see a picture showing the body of the gauge. As best as I can tell from the pic, it looks as if the wires can be sealed in silicone to keep water from getting into the body.

Anyway, I just threw this topic out there to get some opinions from others about waterproofing this speedo. Not opinions on whether or not we need a speedometer. I know that we don't but I've got $169 that's burning a hole in my pocket begging to be traded for a Speedhut gps speedometer !

BTW, I've posted this same thread in PWCToday for more exposure.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    Thats cool,....

Rocky Top Tennessee
    Let us know how it works out for ya, probably would hold up as good as an oem with more accuracy to boot.

Thread Information