2002 TXI 1200 questions please?

I purchased a 2002 1200 TXI project this winter and am just now starting on it. It had a melted PTO piston. I am going through the engine and will fix this but I would like to find out what caused the lean condition so it wont happen again. The ski has low hours and is very clean and has had supposedly all the dealer updates performed. 135 psi compression in the other two cylinders. I suspect low fuel pressure is the problem as I cant find anything else. I tried hooking a fuel pressure tester to the shrader valve but the only tester that I could get locally from my local auto parts stores would not fit on the smaller shrader valve that my ski has. What are you using for a pressure tester and where did you get it? I finally removed the inside part of my schrader valve and clamped a short piece of hose to the outside of the valve and then clamped the other end to the pressure guages hose and grounded the brown fuel pump wire. It did not register any fuel pressure. I then removed the hose that was clamped to the schrader valve and held my finger on the opening and energized the pump. I had no trouble keeping the fuel from blowing out past my finger. It did pump steady and without pulsing but I was not sure how much force I should have felt. So I am not sure the tester I used was able to read the way I had it hooked up. Assuming I need around 25 pound of pressure, should I have been able to block the flow of fuel with my finger over the opening as I did? How hard should it push fuel out? When I let the fuel pump out of the valve into a bucket it would increase in flow if I pinched off the fuel line past the schrader valve.So what does this sound like? Possible bad fuel pump? Anybody have any ideas? Thanks...​

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like the classic fuel pump pressure regulator problem where the regulator has fallen off inside the fuel pump body.

With your rigged up fuel pressure tester, clamp the return fuel line closed between tee and the fuel tank itself. The measured pressure should rise to near 30 PSI. If it does, then for sure the pressure regulator is the problem.

My signature links for Ficht show two methods of repairing the problem, one using an external Kawasaki part and the other re-attaching the original regulator inside the tank.

Thanks for the reply. I did pinch off the line as you suggested when I had the testor hooked up but it still did not register anything. How hard should the fuel shoot out of the disassembled schrader valve if my fuel pressure was correct? The fuel pump is moving fuel but I cant get it to register on the guage with or without pinching off the line after the schrader valve.
    Last edited by jdjd; 04-29-2013 at 11:54 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjd View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I did pinch off the line as you suggested when I had the testor hooked up but it still did not register anything. How hard should the fuel shoot out of the disassembled schrader valve if my fuel pressure was correct? The fuel pump is moving fuel but I cant get it to register on the guage with or without pinching off the line after the schrader valve.
    Fuel at over 20PSI would be shooting halfway across the garage!

You are pinching off the return fuel line between the Schrader tee and the fuel tank, correct?

Fully squeezing the hose, using some sort of non-damaging pliers.

You pressure gauge is indeed working?

Thanks for the reply. The fuel flows out of the Schrader valve steady and the flow increases a little bit when I pinch off the line between the schrader valve and the tank. The flow shoots out of the valve an inch or two but no more with the line pinched off or not. Dies this sound like a bad fuel pump. Do you have any other ideas as I was wanting to get your opinoin before I started to replace the fuel pump as from what I read is a difficult job. As far as I know the gauge was working correctly, even if it wasn't shouldn't the fuel shoot out a lot harder than it did? Once again thanks for your help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjd View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The fuel flows out of the Schrader valve steady and the flow increases a little bit when I pinch off the line between the schrader valve and the tank. The flow shoots out of the valve an inch or two but no more with the line pinched off or not. Does this sound like a bad fuel pump?

Do you have any other ideas as I was wanting to get your opinoin before I started to replace the fuel pump as from what I read is a difficult job. As far as I know the gauge was working correctly, even if it wasn't shouldn't the fuel shoot out a lot harder than it did? Once again thanks for your help
    It does sound like the fuel pump core has failed.

Removal involves some messing around, but I think it can be done with the tank in the hull.
    I may be confusing my Virage TXi with MSX 140 in this regard...

Anybody have any tips and or tricks to change out the fuel pump on a 2002 1200 TXI?

Thread Information