Kawasaki 550sx new owner!

I have actually just bought a 550sx, because I didn't wanna spend a whole lot of cash for my first one. I tested it, compression tested it, both holes 150 psi. Has a new jet unit. Also all new hoses, was a great bargain! I took it out today for about 15 minutes ( I live on the back of a river) I stood up second go, was turning by the 4th go, I just now need to perfect it! I would love some information about these, for one. It has no disabling unit, If I fall off the ski, it doesn't stop, I don't know if this is stock or they have taken it off. If so, what is the best safety feature to do here? I would also like to know if there is any oils I should be leaning towards (to mix with fuel) Last off all, is there any mods I should considering doing, or should I keep it bone stock?
    Thanks for taking the time

+1
    Its a fun ski, make a right turn yet? When you fall, the ski should circle back to you, but I also a added a kill switch with a lanyard. Any quality TC-3 oil is fine. I want to stress to take care of the pump and liner, after beaching and prior to riding again, stand in 2-3' of water and shake out the pump of any sand, etc by pickinig uip and pushing down on the rear of the ski a few times, it will greatly increate the life of the pump liner and prop by a factor of 100x Regarding mods a Solas prop (dont remember what pitch) and ride plate gave a dramatic boost to acceleration and handeling, wasnt concerned with top speed but was riding ocean breakers and the snap of speed was required. Another maintanance item is to grease the sterring and throttle cables witha motorcycle since the cable are much more subjected to water then a sit down.
    Tusk Cable Lube Kit
    http://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Cable-Lube-Kit/dp/B0039O2OAI

Name:  51OH-sF0IuL._SL500_SS100_.jpg
Views: 2915
Size:  3.3 KB

I have made a right turn yes! Although, I wouldn't exactly call it an exciting right turn 2-5 mph haha. Was adding a kill switch hard? Also what killswitch's actually fit these ski's? I don't really care about top speed, as people who do confused me on stand ups, IMHO if you want speed, sit down and get a turbo. I'm looking to carve/wave jump so acceleration would be great, and turning yes!

+1
    Ill post some pics, wiring diagram and fix my spelling tonight when I get home.

+1
    Wow, its been too long since I last looked at ski, seems I removed the kill switch that was mounted into pole and went with a start switch oem lanyard type, (have to take a look next weekend on how I connected the wiring) also, pic of the rear exhaust, makes life a lot more bearable. Last but not least, since the 550/650's are from the 80's, you have to maintain that theme, , ha!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-30 19.31.30.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	299926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-30 19.33.24.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	299927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-30 19.33.16.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	299928

Ok, that is what I will have to do I guess ! Also my 550sx is a 94 model : )

A little trick to save you some money with the 550SX, instead of buying a kill switch, is to set the idle to where the engine will just barely idle when the ski is outside of the water. That way when you fall off in the water the ski will automatically die because the idle is too low to keep the ski running with the extra load of the water. Might not be the most professional solution but it works!

Quote Originally Posted by leisuredrummer View Post
    A little trick to save you some money with the 550SX, instead of buying a kill switch, is to set the idle to where the engine will just barely idle when the ski is outside of the water. That way when you fall off in the water the ski will automatically die because the idle is too low to keep the ski running with the extra load of the water. Might not be the most professional solution but it works!
    That's how my standup is setup.
    It works great and I think it's even better than the lanyard setup in a sense that:
    > you are not changing/adding anything
    > there is nothing to forget about like carrying/wearing the lanyard.

In the beginning I didn't like that but unlike sitdown skis, stgandup skis don't spend time on water just idling.
    You are always on the throttle. Standup ski is the BEST fun on water, and guys do it standing up anyway

Right, if you think about it, your stand up is almost never just idling in the water. Actually I can't even think of the last time I needed my ski to idle in the water...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by leisuredrummer View Post
    This is actually how race skis used to be set up as per IJSBA rules prior to a 1994 crash in San Diego where two Blasters collided and a throttle was pinned WFO - no pilot, straight for the beach. It can also happen on a stand-up if a handle pole has a very severe, beyond catastrophic break. I used to have my 550 set to stall after about 5 sec of no throttle (pre '93), but a lanyard really is safer...

BTW, you don't have to replace the entire button assymbly to add a lanyard, just the face plate.

Thread Information