Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New guy needs help with fuel lines...please

Hello to all....I have a 96 and a 97 sltx 1050, they both have under 60 hours, I bought one in perfect condition from an older neighbor on the lake (who never rode and always took good care) I bought the 97 from Craigslist....it had low compression on the #2 cylinder ( #1 was 124, #2 was 110, #3 was 122) so we did a top end rebuild and before we could take the ski to the lake I had to go out of town on business and have been working out of town for the past 8 months. Okay, my question is this...I know that the fuel lines need to be replaced and I saw where someone said it would take like 21.9 ft of line. Is there any special trick? Am I missing something before I do this myself? I have replaced engines in jet skis and boats and have a basic mechanical background...I just can't see paying the local shop $325 plus waiting three weeks to change something I may be able to do in a Saturday. Let me know if there is something that I have not answered and please lend me some knowledge.....

+1
    I'm replacing mine myself. Here is a recent thread with lots of information. The link will start you off on page six where the fuel hose discussion really kicks off. I like to take a string and run it along the hoses to get measurements, then get a few extra feet to be safe. I'm also replacing the plastic tees with fuel rated brass ones, and replacing the fuel system and oil tank vent check valves while I'm at it.

Fuel hose:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=193933&page=6

Check valves:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195201

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    This build thread has plenty of useful info;

1996 780 Fuji Rebuild

This thread has a good discussion about fuel hose quality and Oetiker style ear clamps;

West Marine sells Shields brand (Teleflex/SeaStar) Marine rated A1 fuel hose

Measure up the total length of fuel line you have in the hull, then add a few feet for extras and mistakes. Don't forget about the two pulse hoses that connect the carb fuel pumps to the crankcase below.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    wow..maybe I need to increase my prices!

$325 AND three weeks?

22 feet of line $88
    Bunch o' otkier clamps $15
    an hour of nasty labor $125
    Couple of band aids and peroxide $5

you'll need a few tricks..which is maybe why the other shop is charging $325 they are not aware of the tricks and spends two hours doing the job

the shields line is a really tough fit over the Polaris water separator

the fittings on the fuel tank pickups are prone to snap off if you treat them badly ( and this is where the last guy that balked at my price for the work came back a few days later with a half finished job and a fuel tank feed nipple snapped off)

Cost him for a new fuel pickup ( and that wasn't cheap) + I had to finish the job too. Cost him about double.

If you value your life, only use marine A-1 rated fuel line in your ski, as shown is has the abrasion resistance needed to prevent compromise and in case of a fire, the fuel tank will burn thru before the hose does. Read up on fuel line ratings to see what you are getting into using colored fuel line, there are numerous ratings, each with specific applications.

I only use Shields branded line and I have never gotten sued over it. I refuse to work on skis that have clear or colored fuel line without a sign off disclaimer that the ski as presented was unsafe. I've seen too many close calls caused by guys who are more concerned with looks then functionality.

Now if you took a look at their lady friends..you'd see where that habit began....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    wow..maybe I need to increase my prices! ...
    No time like the present!

Just noticed your signature upgrade. Thanks

+1
    I already get too many people looking at me sideways when they see the shop rate sign.

I often discount when it's called for ( captain's ship..captain's rules!)

No way I'm charging two seniors who re retired and living in a nearby trailerpark driving a 20 year old jeep full boat for any kind of work.

On the other hand..the guy that drives onto the lot towing a new 5th wheel with a new F450 dually..well he's paying the listed rate

My Polaris customers can't begin to thank you enough..neither can I for that matter.

Since no other shops can seem to fix a Polaris the first time around or really have a chance at fixing a FI problem..it all falls on me and my buds here on GH!
    Last edited by K447; 04-30-2013 at 12:20 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post

the shields line is a really tough fit over the Polaris water separator
    We replaced a fuel line on an old smoker quad way back when. Long story short, we took a cotton swab and dipped it in two stroke oil and wet the inside of the hose to help it over the barbs.

+1
    you can replace the fuel line rather easily, and quickly( It does NOT take an hour....there are 3 lines that need to be run....a supply a return and the vent...the return from the carbs will be the HARDEST to get on, its a BIG barb, i did not use oil to get it on, i heated the line up with a hair dryer, and it slid right on, when it cooled down it would have realllllly attached to that barb, the supply should be rather simple.

+1
    I'm in the process of tossing the old gray tempo lines on my genesis and replacing them with fuel lines from Advance auto. I'm using non fuel injected line.
    It's pretty easy so far. I need to change the feed and carb lines and i'm done. Then it's on to the Virage. I'll use FI lines for that one.

Some of the tempo lines are hardened to the point I can barely crush them with pliers.

+1
    No need to use fuel injection rated line here, Ficht fuel pressures are far lower then on a typical FI system. You do however want to replace all the little o rings where the fuel lines connect to the injectors.

In regards to time, might take some of you far less then an hour, but you'll be surprised how fast the clock ticks off by the time it's all over and done with when you get everything "just so"

Half of the skis I get for this kind of work have missing/broken hull attachment points to secure the lines
    Last edited by K447; 05-02-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information