+1

Kawi Ultra 250 - problems

My buddy has a 2007 Kawasaki Ultra 250. He bought it last year and has only ridden it a few times. Now he's having some major issues. He was telling me that the 07's were notorious for having pump bearing problems? Something about that the shaft would move back and forth, allowing for the crankshaft in the motor to be pushed forward. He was told he would have to upgrade to the Ultra 300 pump setup. They found metal shavings in the oil, his compression is 125, 130, 130 and 125. He originally took it in cause he broke the Supercharger belt, ski only has 70 hours on it I believe and its on its 2nd belt. I am no expert with kawis or the 4 stroke setup for that matter, so asking you guys what you think? Is this possible that the pump shaft and bearings could cause this kind of damage in the motor? Any ideas on what could have happened for the belt to break, then have you ever heard of having to upgrade the pump to solve this problem of the shaft being pushed into the crankshaft? Thanks.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    if there are metal shavings in the oil check the crank float forwards and backwards, the pump likely took out the motor.

Sean

Yes, single pump bearing design used in 07 - 10 is prone to failure and can damage motor just as described. Upgrade to two bearings and shaft with retainer nut is relatively cheap, easy fix. The SC belts can simply wear out and fail. But, they tend to fail more often when pulley wheel gets corroded or when belt tensioner is not adjusted properly. You must keep close eye on belt tension and tensioner which has its own bearing that must be periodically replaced.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Yes, single pump bearing design used in 07 - 10 is prone to failure and can damage motor just as described. Upgrade to two bearings and shaft with retainer nut is relatively cheap, easy fix. The SC belts can simply wear out and fail. But, they tend to fail more often when pulley wheel gets corroded or when belt tensioner is not adjusted properly. You must keep close eye on belt tension and tensioner which has its own bearing that must be periodically replaced.
    Single bearing was 07-09

+1
    thanks for the info guys,
    SHOOTER

Thread Information