+1

Intake Grate Question

I plan on buying a new grate, but at this point I don't have the extra cash. I have my factory grate down at the moment to fix the pump shoe inserts on my 05 RXP. The back of my grate is not flush with the ride plate. Is it worthwhile for me to make it flush? I'm trying to get the most out of it before I start doing any major mods to the ski.

Paul

+1
    Yes. File, sand, fit, repeat. Afterwards, fill the ride plate holes. Also, use the same jb waterweld to fill the bolt holes on the ride plate. Sand them flush with the hull to make a super-smooth transition. Definitely worth it.
    These two simple things yield a solid gain of 1-2mph.
    While you're at it, remove the pump, then the cone and replace the grease with 75w90 synthetic differential fluid (fill cone @2/5 from top). Slightly less friction for an extra ounce of speed. Every little bit helps!
    Good luck!

+1
    This little project started because i was filling the rideplate holes. I had a piece of plastic bag wedged between the rideplate and grate that wouldnt come out without removing the grate.

This grate is almost an 1/8" low. Is that a normal amount for a stock grate? It also feels like it rocks when I hold it flat on the bottom, so I plan on getting that out of it also.

Should I fill in the grate holes also?

My ride plate doesn't have silicone all around it, just the leading edge and maybe 2" down each side. Is it worth it to apply right stuff all the way down the sides of the ride plate?

Paul

+1
    Close your eyes and run your fingers over the grate bolt holes and edges where it meets the hull (front and rear by rideplate). Very rough. Water hates rough.
    The smoother it is, the faster you go. For a few free digits on a gps, it's definitely worth it.
    I've never used 'right stuff', but if it will hold its shape, use it. If it is continuously ripped out when you check, use water weld and sand it smooth. It makes a helluva transition!

+1
    Cool good to know. The little bit of silicone that is there looks like permatex right stuff. Is it ok to cut it back with a razor and start over?

Paul

Thread Information