SEADOO 717, fires up, weak spark, shuts down

have a 1997 seadoo gs, looks like it has weak spark. i replaced the coil, wires and plugs which helped a little, but i still think the spark is too weak. Im getting gas to the cylinder, but the jetski dies after a few seconds being on.

could someone please explain to me how the stator works, what should I look for when i take it out, what should i clean, or test or replace to get better spark.

thanks!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boostintt View Post
    have a 1997 seadoo gs, looks like it has weak spark. i replaced the coil, wires and plugs which helped a little, but i still think the spark is too weak. Im getting gas to the cylinder, but the jetski dies after a few seconds being on.

could someone please explain to me how the stator works, what should I look for when i take it out, what should i clean, or test or replace to get better spark.

thanks!!

Download a shop manual, meter the pins and see if the resistance values ck out before ya go tearing away. It could be rotary valve timing as well, I learned that one the hard way. If ya really think you have weak spark check your ground connections. Un hook the rectifier too and see if that helps, just make sure you have a good fully charged battery.

how would unhooking the rectifier work? meaning: if i unhook rectifier, what should i expect and what does that tell me?

also im just horrible when it comes with anything electrical, and resistance etc.. lol..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boostintt View Post
    how would unhooking the rectifier work? meaning: if i unhook rectifier, what should i expect and what does that tell me?

also im just horrible when it comes with anything electrical, and resistance etc.. lol..
    A bad rectifier can cause ignition problems, unhooking it temporarily can rule it out if it doesn't help the symptoms. Usually the rectifier acts up in the rpm range above idle in my experience.

Did ya experience any backfiring?

Metering (ohms) can tell ya if there is a shorted connection to ground, broken wire, or corroded pin. If ya can't use a volt meter than ya may as well take it to a repair shop.

i took off the intake cover and sprayed some starter fluid and i DID get some backfiring from the carb.. is that what you're talking about? thanks.

yea i need to learn how to use the volt meter..

Quote Originally Posted by rhyne717xp View Post
    A bad rectifier can cause ignition problems, unhooking it temporarily can rule it out if it doesn't help the symptoms. Usually the rectifier acts up in the rpm range above idle in my experience.

Did ya experience any backfiring?

Metering (ohms) can tell ya if there is a shorted connection to ground, broken wire, or corroded pin. If ya can't use a volt meter than ya may as well take it to a repair shop.
    A 717 does not have a dc cdi system like the 787 and will not have the running problems with a bad regulator

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    A 717 does not have a dc cdi system like the 787 and will not have the running problems with a bad regulator
    Sry, I thought the post 95 717 engines were DC-CDI i know they used DESS, that should simplify troubleshooting a bit, metering the generating coil wires(black and black/red) should tell us if its a magneto problem.

The generating coil provides power to the ignition coil.

I would look into rotary valve timing. I had one that would not start. All seadoos appear to have weak spark in sunlight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    I would look into rotary valve timing. I had one that would not start. All seadoos appear to have weak spark in sunlight.
    It sounds like it, usually on a ignition problem u either have spark or ya don't.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    lay off the starter fluid before you hurt the motor or yourself. Teaspoon of fuel down the carb/plugholes same effect/no risk

a 717 will shut down if the mpem is not getting an "engine running signal" from the stator...likely the mpem is bad, but certainly check all the assorted wiring first.

Often water in the electric box is the culprit.

Thread Information