Unhappy 2000 polaris virage tx 1200 no spark

Hello everyone I am new to the world of PWC but not to DIY fixes with machines. I realize this topic has been covered in other posts but I still find myself helpless after fixing the only things I could find and testing everything else that I could find info on. Here is where I stand.
    Given ski after it quit running on a friend with more money than brains. The story goes it ran fine all day and then suddenly wouldn't start. Engine cranks fine.
    Using a spark test light that was tested on 2 other engines to ensure function I found no spark on any of the 3 cylinders.
    Tested the stator per the service manual and found it to be working.
    Tested coil resistance.
    Replaced dead battery with new and it reads 10.8-11.2v when cranking
    Bypassed the LR module according to the instruction in another post and still no spark,(the post from the polaris knowledge link) however I am afraid I may have done it wrong. The post mentioned a non LR black/white wire which I assumed was the harness end that I disconnected from the LR to the black terminal which I assumed were the 6 blades right next to the LR with black wires on them. I really want to be sure of this for another test. I wish I could see a picture of this test being done correctly.
    Checked all wiring against wiring diagram and have found only one anomaly, a pair of purple/red (one going to cdi and the other to the prple/reds I believe) that terminate together in a disconnect (round female) which is not connected to anything.
    I have not tested the cdi. I got frustrated after a few days and am now seeking advice... I loved this ski when I first rode it and now that its mine I want it to live again.

Banned User
    +1
    My guess is the CDI

I was afraid of that...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakatoa420 View Post
    ... Checked all wiring against wiring diagram and have found only one anomaly, a pair of purple/red (one going to cdi and the other to the purple/reds I believe) that terminate together in a disconnect (round female) which is not connected to anything...
    Can you provide a photo of this?

The Red/Purple wire from the CDI (and ONLY that Red/Purple wire, no others) should connect to an Orange terminal on the terminal board. All other Red/Purple wires are to be connected together.

Banned User
    +1
    There are CDIs out there. You could always run a 447 from a 1050 if you had to. They work just fine. I bought a whole update kit just to get a CDI when I got my Pro 1200. Have been running that CDI ever since.

correction, one end of the dual wire termination goes to the breaker, the other to the stator harness. sorry for the confusion

*bump* I am now in the market for a replacement CDI. Cheapest new one I can find is over 500. Anyone know where to get the full update kit for a domestic carb 1200?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakatoa420 View Post
    *bump* I am now in the market for a replacement CDI. Cheapest new one I can find is over 500. Anyone know where to get the full update kit for a domestic carb 1200?
    There is no Update Kit for the 1200 engine, as the 1200 engine already has the Gen III ignition. The Update Kits are for the 700, 900 and 1050 cc engines.

Have you looked in the Polaris Classifieds on Greenhulk?

Thread Information