Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

??????gp1300r oil pump questions??????

Hey everybody, I want to start by saying that this is my first jet ski and I've got some dumb questions. I have a 06 gp1300r and I've been reading about the oil pump failures. This has got me a little worried. I just cleaned out my bank account to get the ski before summer rolls around and the thought of it blowing up is a little heavy. I have seen people going to premix and doing something called a tunnel reinforcement. I would much rather leave my oil pump in the ski no hassle mixing oil. What can I do to my pump to fix it where it won't break or can I get another kind of pump???? My second question is the type of Yamalube??? I've seen where people say 2m, 2s, 2w I still have the stock cat in it. I've also seen people talking about a throttle cable failure. Is my 06 still under the recall???? Big thanks to anyone who can help.

+1
    Hello and welcome to the Hulk! I got my 1st GP1300 just six months ago ... and like you had many concerns & worries. Although you will get many opinions and for every question several answers I found that this forum will be a great source of information ... just have to wade thru it. Ha Ha As I was saying I have an 08 1300 and I do not plan on changing the oil injector system out. It does its job. I believe the 06-08 GPRs have had little or no reports of oil line failures (#3 line poping off .... do to shrinkage) It was the older models. Just so you have a resource that you can really depend on I recommend you go to the GPR experts. One that I know of is Richard @ WFO performance you can find him on this site. GPRs are his speciality. For oil injected models and fuel injected engines the Yamalube will be fine. Make call to dealer about your #2's on oil selection .... i would like to know also. Only real mod I would consider first off is replace the CAT with the D-Plate & chip. Then do nothing else if you like how it is performing and 60-63 MPH works for you. The ski will run cooler and perform well. Stay-n-touch and keep us updated on how your ski & you anr doing... again welcome

+1
    I switched over to premix to ease my mind about oil pump failure. It's a preference people choose.

I absolutely agree with ozarkyammonster. Without a doubt remove the cat and install a d-plate. They are known for disintegrating and getting sucked up into the motor. There cheep at only 80 bucks around. I would also consider an intake grate as well since it will help keep the ski planted in the water and there are stories of people getting hurt with the stock grate. Also if you want too a tunnel reinforcement would help too since they are prone to cracking. More so at higher speeds but can happen at stock. Check out my build thread in my signature. It might help you out.

+1
    DITO !!!! Thanks Black & Silver for the shout out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayoblack&gold View Post
    Hey everybody, Hey Mayo, Welcome to GH

I want to start by saying that this is my first jet ski and I've got some dumb questions. I have a 06 gp1300r and I've been reading about the oil pump failures.
    This appears to be fixed by 2006. Pre-mix is absolute protection but is a pain in the ass. I have had zero issues with oil injection(2006 at 150 hrs). Leave the oil pump.

and doing something called a tunnel reinforcement.
    The 2006 has the updated jet pump and new one-piece hull inserts. In stock+ form you should be fine.

the type of Yamalube??? I've seen where people say 2m, 2s, 2w I still have the stock cat in it.
    I prefer AMSOil Interceptor as my injector oil http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...r-2-cycle-oil/
    Down the road I would snatch out the cat for a dplate (dont buy a temp sensor "chip". it wont work on '06)

I've also seen people talking about a throttle cable failure. Is my 06 still under the recall????
    call your nearest dearler with the HIN and they can check if it was done. if it binds you can replace it more quickly than a dealer will this time of year.
    See RED above.

Big thanks to everyone for the advice. You all talk about the D-plate I looked into it a little and I can do that without hurting my pocket. Yall talk about the cat getting sucked into the motor. What amount of hours on the ski does this normally happen? Mine is sitting on 124hrs should I look into buying the D-plate soon.

+1
    I just bought my 2006 1300r it had 83hrs on it. Did the dplate and chip before i even rode it!
    When i took out the stinger and split the pipes the cat fell out in 2 pices, the outer ring fixed to one pipe and the cat was just floating around in the other pipe!!!
    Be done with it and do it now, cause it will fail!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayoblack&gold View Post
    What amount of hours on the ski does this normally happen? Mine is sitting on 124hrs should I look into buying the D-plate soon.
    No way to tell when it'll go but usually before 124hrs. How sure are you that it doesn't have d-plate already?

I would not suggest snatching the pipe before you ride it.
    -if it surges and wont rev over 5k rpm, than snatch the pipe cause the cat is clogging up the exhaust (not sucked into engine).

Buy some oil and a six pack of spark plugs BR8es-11. Ride out as much of the oil in the tank so not to mix with your choice. Try not to mix oils.
    Fill with new gas & ride. Swap plugs...refill and ride....repeat.

+1
    its yamalube 2w to answer one of your question, easier way to tell what to use: the bottle with the picture of a superjet and gp1300r on it!
    and if you remove the cat, yamalube is not needed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamalube-2w-waverunner-946ml-bottle.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	300114

I was also thinking of doing the d-plate and chip, is there a way to tell if my ski already has it without removing the pipe? and how does it affect speed? I heard you gain some?

+1
    with your '03 I don't know??? but, if you have the temp sensor installed and plugged in (no chip) than you have a cat or you throw a code.
    -This is not the case for 2005+. installed sensor means nothing (it may or may not throw a code every now & then) but doesn't effect ski either way...BEEP BEEP...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information