Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: intake grates

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1

intake grates

Just want to remind everyone when you start to do mods the first thing that needs to go is the stock intake grate. That would be on the GPR'S, XLT-XLL, FX and FXHO. Thank you, Jim

+1
    I don't even remember what it looks like Jim!

This is very good info. No one told me about the intake grate problem. Talk about a ride. I was ready to sink this boat until I found out what was wrong!!

Jim, do you do anything to intake grates to make them better? I know you probably can't get much/if any speed but just curious if cleaning up the casting or anything would help? Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Suthrn View Post
    Jim, do you do anything to intake grates to make them better? I know you probably can't get much/if any speed but just curious if cleaning up the casting or anything would help? Thanks.

2fast4u posted this awhile back I did it and helped my "left pull" plus I also picked up about 1 mph (my grate was BAD on the bottom side)

I would like every forum member that has good speed information to post at least one good trick that they know works as a gift for other forum readers to share. Please everyone only post good true information no junk. Here is my trick > When you have your pump shoe out bolt the intake grate to the shoe and match the grate to the shoe by grinding the shoe and grate till they match exactly on the inside as well as under side. The fit of the grate to the shoe is very bad. I also do a second grate (Spare) Since a purfect match can't be done once the shoe has been sealed in. Also when sealing the shoe and transom plate in I use muratic acid to ecth plate and shoe so the sealer will stick to both good. The proper sealing of the shoe and transom plate is a must for a super fast ski. I know some people have done what the thought was a good job but i supect they have a bad job that costing them speed! Merry Christmas to all!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Suthrn View Post
    Just make sure when you bolt up the grate that there is no lip to the pump shoe for water to grab, You want a smooth entry of water.

+1
    just for kicks i'm gonna test the stocker with my drag race setup vs. the 1200 grate. and yes i will hang on for dear life

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCKMYWAKE View Post
    just for kicks i'm gonna test the stocker with my drag race setup vs. the 1200 grate. and yes i will hang on for dear life
    Just be very careful Brian.

+1
    i will. i am still wondering exactly why we ditch the things our ski's come with. i know there are some much better performing parts out there, but my thinking is, the companies spend millions orf dollars for r+d, there has to be something there worthwhile.

i am taking a stock gpr rideplate. doing the angle mod on it and having 4 inches welded on the back. then will test and slowly take material off the back to see what results i get.

the stock intake leaves alot to be desired, but i will test that with my current set-up and post results. i think it may suprise some people.i dont think the buck would come into play with it, but what do i know

i am taking the stock trim tabs and cutting off sections lengthwise, so that there is just enough width for the area to accomodate the trim tab bolts. think of it as a 2 inch wide ,six inch long strip. will test this on the outside holes only, then test on the inside holes only.
    just thinking outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by SUCKMYWAKE View Post
    just thinking outside the box
    Way to go Brian!! thats what needs to happen, get out of that Damn box!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information