Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    gleson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wollongong Australia
    Posts
    425
    +1
    13

    Yamaha VXR mods advice

    Hi guys a mate of mine has just purchased a 2013 Yamaha VXR, at the moment it is still stock. What we would like to know is what are the best options for the air intake whilst maintaining warranty. He does alot of ocean riding.

    Could anyone also chip in with if Tommy's free flow exhaust mod for the FZ series works on a VXR.

    Thanks Guys


  2. #2
    infamous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,036
    +1
    336
    Right off the bat people seem to be getting good results with a thru-hull exhaust and ribbon delete. Those would be your "best bang for your buck" mods.

    There is really nothing to be gained performance wise with a free flow.

  3. #3
    bryantjopplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    2,436
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by gleson View Post
    Hi guys a mate of mine has just purchased a 2013 Yamaha VXR, at the moment it is still stock. What we would like to know is what are the best options for the air intake whilst maintaining warranty. He does alot of ocean riding.

    Could anyone also chip in with if Tommy's free flow exhaust mod for the FZ series works on a VXR.

    Thanks Guys
    You can make your own free flow exhaust for about 60 bucks. Frozen boost sells the pipe and connectors.

  4. #4
    infamous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,036
    +1
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    You can make your own free flow exhaust for about 60 bucks. Frozen boost sells the pipe and connectors.
    +1, I just did this to clean up my engine bay a little. I posted a thread about it.

  5. #5
    Jarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Waxahachie, TX
    Posts
    3,011
    +1
    77
    Whether mods void your warranty is really between you and your dealer. If your dealer is anti-mods, then anything can theoretically set them off. If the dealer is mod friendly, then you can add more things and be ok.

    Here's my advice on how to get to a solid 71-72 MPH ski with much better accel:

    V-Tech VXR Stage 1 Reflash
    Air intake of some sort (I prefer DIY)
    Ribbon Delete (I used Riva)
    Riva SS Grate
    Stock Ride Plate w/no Stock Spacers and one shim on rear bolts
    Skat 13/16

    That will get you a very nice accelerating, improved handling and faster ski that will hookup well in rougher water.

    I'm personally not a fan of exhaust mods. They just make the ski louder, not faster.

    The reflash is optional and really just adds acceleration. You can get to the same top end speeds with the stock ECU and a taller prop, it's just slower getting there and not as fun to ride, imo.

  6. +1 by:


  7. #6
    Just my $.02....
    I ride in the ocean in south Florida and almost 99.9% of the time you will not be able to go WOT. Very dangers trying to ride fast with waves. I've been thrown off at 50mph and I needed a week to recover.
    The thing I love about my vxr is the reliability of this machine. I rode a few times in the ocean when waves were 12-16 feet and I was praying nothing fails.
    Yamaha built a solid ski but it doesn't like rough water. It's awesome in flat water doing 70!!

    Reliability is the #1 thing when ocean riding. Plus I cannot justify spending $550 to add an additional 2mph.

  8. #7
    bryantjopplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    2,436
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogi View Post
    Just my $.02....
    I ride in the ocean in south Florida and almost 99.9% of the time you will not be able to go WOT. Very dangers trying to ride fast with waves. I've been thrown off at 50mph and I needed a week to recover.
    The thing I love about my vxr is the reliability of this machine. I rode a few times in the ocean when waves were 12-16 feet and I was praying nothing fails.
    Yamaha built a solid ski but it doesn't like rough water. It's awesome in flat water doing 70!!

    Reliability is the #1 thing when ocean riding. Plus I cannot justify spending $550 to add an additional 2mph.
    It's need trim adjustments I think. Also I love it when it is loud. Scares people. Lol

  9. #8
    gleson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wollongong Australia
    Posts
    425
    +1
    13
    Thanks for the advice guys, does anyone know if K&N make a filter to fit the standard air box.

  10. #9
    big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cocoa Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,395
    +1
    598
    go with the R&D reflash, vtech is more concered with sea doo , i have a vtech rreflash and would never use vtech again !!!!!! right now the GH store is offering a discount on both

  11. #10
    Vroooooom! CougarKiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Disfuction Junction AZ
    Posts
    413
    +1
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by gleson View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, does anyone know if K&N make a filter to fit the standard air box.
    Negative Ghostrider... There is one that will fit fit the throttle body tho that a couple guys on here are using.

    For a drop in filter for the stock box you have 2 options:

    R&D = http://www.rd-performance.com/newpro...rtno=200-01800

    Prok = http://www.islandracing.net/vxr.html

    I would of bought the Prok filter had I found it before ordering the RnD .... But I am happy with my set up (drilled out a bunch of holes in the stock airbox) ... sounds good and def has more nuts!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 yamaha vxr performance mods
    By yamaha1390 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 09:09 PM
  2. 2014 yamaha vxr performance mods
    By yamaha1390 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM
  3. First Mods Advice: vxr r&d performer kit
    By Bryan in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 09:27 AM
  4. GPR1200 mod advice
    By izz0 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 06:47 AM
  5. this summers mods...advice with order
    By BoostedH23a1 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •