Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

STX-R Ultra 150 Engine coupler cracked..

Hey Guys,

I have a quick question for you guys. I have an STX-R, which was leaking around the aluminum housing, where the driveshaft goes through the hull. Now that spring is here, I am in the process of putting it back together. However, I noticed that the coupler on the engine has a cracked finger, and it looks to be tweaked a little. See pictures. My question is do you guys think I can just leave this alone or should I replace it? I can still manage to get the rubber piece in there and squeeze the two couplers together, its just tight.

If you think I should replace it, does anyone know how to remove it? Also, I thought about adding a small weld to it for added strength but my buddy said that it looks to be cast aluminum and by welding it you may make the whole thing weaker. I also then thought about the balancing issues that a weld may cause

Any feedback would be great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coupler 2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	299996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coupler 1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	299995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coupler 3.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	299994,

Thanks,

Rob

Replace it.. there's a special tool tool to take that apart. Google search ultra150 repair manual pdf.

+1
    Absolutely replace it!

Check your engine mounts, the engine may have moved and caused it. You REALLY don't want that to tear up because it can ruin the crank. The coupling just unscrews from the shaft.

+1
    Alright thanks for the advice guys. I will probably have to remove the magneto cover to hold the crank then, correct? I'll look through the manual but I didn't remember seeing it in there. Also, do you think its possible to remove it without this special tool and possibly use something else? Thanks again guys.
    Rob

+1
    Some people put a piece of rope down the spark plug hole to stop piston movement, but I'd be afraid of possibly bending the rod.

Best method is a flywheel stop that engages in the flywheel teeth. I've got one for a Yamaha, I think it will fit a Kawi with a little modification.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    replace it, as I said in another thread, @6500 rpm and 100+ hp bad things can happen fast.

I've been using the rope trick for ages, it's been cited in more manuals then I can remember. I don't recall every seeing a case of a bent rod, but it sure sounds like a good episode for myth buster ( who would without doubt tear down a brand new engine to measure rod bend after using the rope trick)

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    With the 4 strokes we just pop 50-100psi in the cylinders and crank on the coupler, the air pressure keeps it from moving. With the 2 stroke you would have to block off the carbs and exhaust.

Sean

+1
    If you are going to replace it, and it's very tight to come off, cut it off.

+1
    Rope trick, pb blaster and big pry bar has done the trick for me twice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I've been using the rope trick for ages, it's been cited in more manuals then I can remember. I don't recall every seeing a case of a bent rod, but it sure sounds like a good episode for myth buster ( who would without doubt tear down a brand new engine to measure rod bend after using the rope trick)
    It would certainly work, but I've heard of rods bending when the starter is activated on a hydrolocked engine. What would be the difference? I've never actually seen it. I figure that's why they sell flywheel holders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information