Rebuild requirements for geared turbochargers?

My dad is planning on buying his first pwc this spring and has narrowed it down to a Yamaha model. He has the option of getting it with or without a turbocharger. One of his key concerns is reliability - one of the reasons he has decided to go with a Yamaha over Seadoo is because of the need to rebuild the seadoo turbocharger after 100 hours or so. The dealer he has been speaking to has advised that the Yamaha turbocharger doesn't have the same rebuild issues because it's a geared turbocharger.

My dad has asked me to help him research the reliability of Yamaha's geared turbocharger (I think because I'm the only person he knows who knows what a turbocharger is and how to use the internet), however so far I haven't had any luck finding any information about Yamaha's turbocharger, or "geared" turbochargers in general, for that matter. Anyhow, this seems to be the place to find people knowledgeable on all things jetski, so I thought I would put our question out here.

Thanks in advance for any information you're able to provide!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by newbuyer View Post
    My dad is planning on buying his first pwc this spring and has narrowed it down to a Yamaha model. He has the option of getting it with or without a turbocharger. One of his key concerns is reliability - one of the reasons he has decided to go with a Yamaha over Seadoo is because of the need to rebuild the seadoo turbocharger after 100 hours or so. The dealer he has been speaking to has advised that the Yamaha turbocharger doesn't have the same rebuild issues because it's a geared turbocharger.

My dad has asked me to help him research the reliability of Yamaha's geared turbocharger (I think because I'm the only person he knows who knows what a turbocharger is and how to use the internet), however so far I haven't had any luck finding any information about Yamaha's turbocharger, or "geared" turbochargers in general, for that matter. Anyhow, this seems to be the place to find people knowledgeable on all things jetski, so I thought I would put our question out here.

Thanks in advance for any information you're able to provide!
    there not turbochrgers there supercharged an yes they are gear driven the only thing that happens to them is the clutch goes out an has to be replaced

+1
    The 2013 clutches are really good and if you don't modify the ski.
    I'm sure you wont have to worry about a thing.
    Regardless always take the 5 year warranty.

Thanks very much - that makes sense. I guess that's what the dealer meant when he described it as a "geared turbocharger". Appreciate the help and advice.

Thread Information