+1

Supercharger Rebuild Questions

I have been doing a lot of reading on the supercharger ceramic washer problems and the general consensus is rebuild the supercharger ASAP with an OEM rebuild kit and metal washers.

I'm surprised there is no "How to rebuild your supercharger" sticky. With the correct tools is this something the average shade tree mechanic can do or should this be left to the professionals ? I'm no professional mechanic but I do consider my abilities above average for a weekend garage warrior. I have rebuilt several 2 stroke Rotax engines, rebuilt carbs etc and do all my own maintenance, my two stoke skis have only been to the dealer for key reprogramming.

There might be a new to me 05 GTX SC in the garage soon and the supercharger is coming off and getting rebuilt I'm debating whether to do this myself or send it to Jerry. The labour cost is not a problem I just like to do things myself if possible.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    actually there is plenty of do it yourself info here..but I still send mine to jerry..just because.

You'll have to make an investment in some specialized tools first off, but no doubt you can pull the job off if you've rebuilt a couple of motors.

secondly there is no doubt some specialized mechanical skills to get it all together..while the learning curve is short... for what Jerry is charging, I can barely justify the risk of doing it myself and snookering something due to inexperience/interruptions

a problem supercharger rebuild can cost a great deal of time and money, with this resource all I have to do is pack it up and send it off. I make a good buck on the removal and installation and resetting the supercharger nag message.

There are certain things I leave to others, even though I can certainly pull it off myself.

A good example...

The clutch on my f-150 4x4 needs replacement. I'd rather pay somebody with a full sized lift to do it, as I've done a couple on truck ramps when I was younger and I'm not ready to go thru that again.

$600 labor is a deal as far as I'm concerned, if you have to pull a tranny twice for something missed..it seems like a REAL deal to get somebody who does them all day long to change it out.

+1
    I also thought I could of done my rebuild but I would of had to buy the tools. There are cheap tools and better tools available. Weighing the number of times that I will be rebuilding my SC and the cost of tools, I thought sending to Jerry the better option.
    I like to do things myself and love to buy tools. Also the peace of mind knowing it is adjusted correctly and ready to go as soon as the 24" of ice is gone from the lake.

+1
    If you happen to do something wrong and it grenades your motor was it worth the small price Jerry charges?

+1
    Go with Jerry fo sho.

+1
    I've seen Jerry rebuild charger he could do it blind forded

+1
    Good news I hope.

I got the 05 today and it is in great shape with 62 hrs on the display. This thing has been dealer serviced all its life and I got copies of all the work orders done on the ski since new. Question is the supercharger was rebuilt at 58 hrs in May of 2010 with kit # 420 881 949, the dealer service writer told me this kit is the newer 100hr kit and has the upgraded metal washers can anyone confirm this ? He said the kits they would use today are different again and he refered to these as a 200hr kit. I searched the part numbers and it looks like this number has been superceded to a different number, maybe the 200hr kit.

If this kit does have metal washers then that's a huge bonus for me.

Thanks
    Chris

Thread Information