2000 GPR Fuel Issues

Need some help - ski wasn't starting unless I poured some fuel into the cylinders manually. In this case, it would run for a few seconds, then die - and it would backfire pretty badly during any throttle increase.

Here is what I have tried and verified:

I pulled the fuel pump from the tank - removed the flap. I removed the spark plugs and cranked the motor to see if any fuel was returning to the tank, which there was. So it appears that fuel is moving...

I filled a small cup up with gas, charged the delivery line, and put the delivery line in the cup (bypass the sending unit). Using a clear fuel line between the cup and the hose, I could see gas drawing into the motor from the cup. The motor then fired up, briefly - then died. At that point the suction stopped and no gas was moving.

Not sure what my issue is here. Any thoughts? Bad sending unit potentially? Not sure where to go from here.

+1
    If fuel is going into the carbs and returning to the tank. you could have a couple of problems. we know it will run from what you have posted so it is firing. the most likely problem is the carbs are stopped up and need rebuilt. the way the carbs are designed having a fuel pump built into every carb will still flow fuel. but if the little filter in the carbs are stopped up no fuel can go past the needle seat or the needle seats could be sticking if the ski has sit for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    If fuel is going into the carbs and returning to the tank. you could have a couple of problems. we know it will run from what you have posted so it is firing. the most likely problem is the carbs are stopped up and need rebuilt. the way the carbs are designed having a fuel pump built into every carb will still flow fuel. but if the little filter in the carbs are stopped up no fuel can go past the needle seat or the needle seats could be sticking if the ski has sit for a long time.

I was thinking this same thing. I rebuilt the engine but the only thing I didn't touch was the Carbs. I was about to purchase rebuild kits but figured I'd post on here and see if anyone had thoughts on it.

Thanks for the response

Thread Information