Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

My 2006 Seadoo RXP attempted to murder me.

I own a 2006 seadoo rxp. I bought it last year with 17 hours on it for $5000 including trailer. I purchased it from a doctor in Ohio that used it for a year and decided it was too much. He decided he wanted to focus his recreation on his golf game and put the Seadoo away for 4 years in his heated garage until he decided it was time for it to go.

When I bought it, the battery had exploded and needed replaced, I had the whole tank of (I presume) gel'ed gas pumped out and replaced it, replaced the oil and plugs and I replaced the supercharger washers before they could become an issue. I ran it for about 20-25 hours last summer... hard... and it didn't disappoint once. I trusted it so much I actually took a Journey straight across Lake Erie to canada from Erie, PA.

The end of the season came. I researched winterization and got her set. My winterization included a battery tendor, fogging the cylinders and fuel rail and filling the intercooler and piping with straight antifreeze. I cleaned her and put her away in my buddy's non-heated garage.

I pulled her out about two weeks ago and she started right up on land, smoked for a couple seconds (presumably from the fogging oil in the cylinders). She seemed ready.

Yesterday I decided to take my new girlfriend for her first ride. It was a 72 day degree day and the lake erie water was 44 degrees. We have a bay in Erie that was fortunately 57 degree water. We put her in, and set off. Idled perfectly to the edge of the no-wake zone... cruised perfectly at 25 mph for about 2 miles to warm her up and then I gave her the beans.

We got from 25mph to about 65mph and immediately the craft through an error code... P1544. It stated that was an exhaust overheat code. I shut her off immediately and pulled out my phone to google the problem. We were able to float for 15 minutes, no problem.

Not being able to find an answer or guidance, I decided to limp back to shore. I started her back up with no issue and started moving. I quickly learned that she only liked to run at around 2800 rpm... Any more than that and it hesitated and ran very poorly.

I was puttering back to shore and starting to feel optomistic that I might make it. I got about halfway back to shore, about a mile and a half off shore and then it happened. She quickly started taking on water, the engine shut off, and the two of us went in. It was a slow day on the bay and I freaked out.

I was in 50 degree water with no marine radio, a cell phone I can't use while swimming and a girlfriend that is immediately starting to seize up from the cold. I blew my rescue whistle and waved my arms. My life was literally saved when a boat about a quarter mile away saw or heard my distress and came and saved me. My girlfriend got in their boat, I tied them up and held the back of the RXP to stabilize and he towed us to shore.

Thank God.

Once I got her onto the trailer, I realized, she wasn't leaking. At all. Despite being a foot and a half deep with water.

Soooo.

What could've happened?
    1. Why would my exhaust overheat? Is it maybe a result of something I did winterizing the craft.
    2. Why would it take water on and sink? I did some research and apparently exhaust overheating can cause connected hoses to melt and cause water intake issues... is that what happened here?
    3. What is my next step?
    I'm sorry for the nove/wall of text. I appreciate any insight or guidance anybody would be so kind as to share with me today.
    Thanks,
    -dan
    Last edited by WoLLy; 05-02-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: edited for spacing/readability

+1
    Wow glad your both OK. I would look into your intercooler leaking and causing the engine to quit then check all the cooling lines.

3. +1 by:

First thing to come to mind for me is your carbon ring. If your ski was taking on water and if the water came out of the intake grate area, I would think its the exhaust carbon ring

Banned User
    +1
    Carbon seal?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post
    First thing to come to mind for me is your carbon ring. If your ski was taking on water and if the water came out of the intake grate area, I would think its the exhaust carbon ring
    I'm not sure if I was unclear, I'm sorry if I was. The hull was sealed tight when it was back on land. Not a drop of water leaked out despite the hundred or so gallons I was carrying.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Definitely sounds like a blown intercooler..... that would explain two things. 1. engine running like crap 2. no water flow going to the exhaust, causing the over temp alarm. It's possible that you didn't get enough antifreeze in the intercooler, and it froze up and blew out.

8. +1 by:

Not sure if its relevant, and I'm pretty embarrassed to admit this now but I dropped an Allen wrench in the hull back when I was winterizing it and it just occurred to me that I forgot to get it out in the spring. Not sure that's the culprit but figured it was worth mentioning

-dan

+1
    I blew the water box out and that will set exhaust alarm off and sink ya. Look at my profile I have pic of water box. Scared the crap out of me. Think goodness mine didn't sink.

+1
    Make sure you pull the plugs and get any water out of the motor ASAP.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    man 50 degree water! my boys are "blue" just think'n bout it....... Seriously, glad you and your girl are fine. I know you felt helpless and responsible for her at the same time but thank god my friend.... oh and i hope she wont be afraid to go out again. good luck

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information