2006 GP1300R Questions

Just purchased 2 2006 GP1300R one with 19 hours and 17 hours on the other, I've not had them out yet but noticed that the CAT. CONV. sensor was not plugged in on one of the Ski's.... The sound seems louder on the SKI without the sensor plugged up. So I'm wondering if this was normal if the CAT CONV..has been removed or was this just where someone had pulled the sensor in error. I'm planning on pulling the CAT CONV. anyway and adding a D-Plate with Chip but was going to do this myself but noticed the 8MM bolts holding the Exhaust on the bottom, but do I need to remove the 8MM bolts or can I pull the exhaust by removing the clamps on the bottom and top and remove the exhaust and removing the brace bolts.......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daltowi View Post
    Just purchased 2 2006 GP1300R one with 19 hours and 17 hours on the other, I've not had them out yet but noticed that the CAT. CONV. sensor was not plugged in on one of the Ski's.... The sound seems louder on the SKI without the sensor plugged up. So I'm wondering if this was normal if the CAT CONV..has been removed or was this just where someone had pulled the sensor in error. I'm planning on pulling the CAT CONV. anyway and adding a D-Plate with Chip but was going to do this myself but noticed the 8MM bolts holding the Exhaust on the bottom, but do I need to remove the 8MM bolts or can I pull the exhaust by removing the clamps on the bottom and top and remove the exhaust and removing the brace bolts.......

Thanks
    Remove battery, cdi box, battery tray, clamp on bottom, 2 outer boot clamps up top, 2 inner boot clamps under outer boot, 2 exhaust brace bolts that bolt on the fuel injection side and the bolt that is near the lower boot that holds the exhaust in place. Also, get the spark plugs out of the way and remove the 2 bolts per clamp that is used to pull the motor (near the spark plugs). Also take the nuts off the bolts that go through the clamps and remove the 2 clamps which will give u more wiggle room. When all the bolts are out, wiggle the stinger away from the boots. On the side of the ski opposite the stinger, grab it and pull it toward you to get it out. It is a tight fit but it will come out. Before Re-installing, clean the boots up and you may use some type of water solution or cleaner to "lube" the inside of the boots to aid in working the boots onto the stinger. I put the bottom boot on first but leave it slightly loose until I get the top boot back on. Hope this helps.

+1
    Also do not get the D-Plate chip.. It does not work on the 2005 and up skis. When you remove the exhaust you will be able to take a flashlight and look down it and see of it has a d-plate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyrocks3 View Post

Thanks
    Remove battery, cdi box, battery tray, clamp on bottom, 2 outer boot clamps up top, 2 inner boot clamps under outer boot, 2 exhaust brace bolts that bolt on the fuel injection side and the bolt that is near the lower boot that holds the exhaust in place. Also, get the spark plugs out of the way and remove the 2 bolts per clamp that is used to pull the motor (near the spark plugs). Also take the nuts off the bolts that go through the clamps and remove the 2 clamps which will give u more wiggle room. When all the bolts are out, wiggle the stinger away from the boots. On the side of the ski opposite the stinger, grab it and pull it toward you to get it out. It is a tight fit but it will come out. Before Re-installing, clean the boots up and you may use some type of water solution or cleaner to "lube" the inside of the boots to aid in working the boots onto the stinger. I put the bottom boot on first but leave it slightly loose until I get the top boot back on. Hope this helps.
    You do not need to take the battery or the battery box out to do this job.

Quote Originally Posted by ctct2118 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyrocks3 View Post

Thanks
    You do not need to take the battery or the battery box out to do this job.

You are correct. My bad. I had to pull mine apart so many times to work on the engine I about forgot what it feels like to just be removing the stinger! Sorry.

Thanks Guys I'm going to give it a shot, what's the worst that can happen...lol

Thread Information