tps removal and replacement

Dont have a manual on the replacing of tps, have part, headed over to lake after work, the few instructions I did get, said not to torque tps, more than 30" pounds, throttle position, you leave it at idle? Adjustment of throttle cable my only concern, im not mechanically inept, but until I change something and get familiar. I really suck! Do have a case of missouri 5 point bud light to assist me.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Replacement TPS should come with instructions.

TPS installation is fairly straightforward. Pay attention to how the spring is coiled around the old TPS shaft and where it catches the mounting boss. You need the replacement to have the spring installed in the exact same position.

See this thread for some details on how to adjust the throttle cable slack.

More TPS related info can be found via my signature links.

Note that there are two types of TPS, pigtail and non-pigtail. They are not interchangeable, and the non-pigtail has a plastic nub that must be present on the metal TPS arm.

Banned User
    +1
    Just curious. Are the pigtail and non pigtail versions electrically the same?

+1

Arrow What is inside a Ficht TPS? How does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Just curious. Are the pigtail and non pigtail versions electrically the same?
    Yes. And no.

All TPS deliver a voltage output that is proportional to the throttle shaft angle.

My understanding is that current TPS versions use an internal electronic sensor to determine shaft angle, and output the appropriate signal voltage. The TPS is powered by 5 volts, but the output signal is limited to a range 0 < output <5

The original TPS design used a simple resistive potentiometer to convert shaft angle to a voltage divider output. These potentiometer TPS were rather sensitive to dirt/moisture contamination, and engine vibration/heat over time would degrade them.

This is why many original TPS fail, and why TPS replacement is a common maintenance or repair item. A recently manufactured TPS should be more reliable going forward than an original unit.

TPS are not serviceable or repairable. Bench testing is not useful, a TPS can test OK on the work bench yet not be OK when bolted to a a running, vibrating engine.

The non-pigtail TPS is physically different from the pig-tail style. The link to the throttle shaft is different.

Dang it! Replaced TPS, not getting any fire at all now, least with the old TPS, it tried to start? Ugh any ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by elk river rascal View Post
    Dang it! Replaced TPS, not getting any fire at all now, least with the old TPS, it tried to start? Ugh any ideas?
    Lanyard in place?

TPS properly connected? Metal pin contacts clean and tight inside the connector?

Thread Information