Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 gsx ltd shut off power around 30 mph speed

Please help me regarding my 99 gsx ltd 951is probleming as following after cleaned the carburators
    -idling speed is ok on water
    ***jetski is run ok around 30 mph and shut off power and blank on meter after that it can start normally at idle speed
    -spark plugs are ok
    -mpem and ke,y are also ok when promgramed a new key by b.u.d.s
    -fuel line system is ok
    -compression test is ok
    Thanks

Welcome to the Hulk!

It could be a number of things, but since your display is going blank, it appears likely that you have a DESS post problem or wiring to the DESS post is faulty. The DESS post has a tiny reed switch that is closed by the magnet in the DESS key. If this switch opens up, it shuts off power to the system because the MPEM thinks the key has been pulled off the post.

This is not an easy thing to chase down if it only happens on the water. Could be the vibrations at that speed open up either the reed switch or a connection somewhere in the system.

Another possibility is a poor connection somewhere in the electrical system, like a bad or loose power or ground wire. At speed, the movement or vibration opens up the connection and you lose system power.

I suggest you start with the DESS post, do some testing per the manual.

Hello Sea Dood
    thanks for your prompt supporting
    I have tested with a new Dess post (Dess post 4 wires in stead of Dess post 3 wires)
    *the problems is still happening the same on water
    -The meter is not Blank, it displaces the info normally.
    -when I tested on land (on trailer). the rpm is Max.. with full throtlle
    waiting for your next support.
    Best
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk!

It could be a number of things, but since your display is going blank, it appears likely that you have a DESS post problem or wiring to the DESS post is faulty. The DESS post has a tiny reed switch that is closed by the magnet in the DESS key. If this switch opens up, it shuts off power to the system because the MPEM thinks the key has been pulled off the post.

This is not an easy thing to chase down if it only happens on the water. Could be the vibrations at that speed open up either the reed switch or a connection somewhere in the system.

Another possibility is a poor connection somewhere in the electrical system, like a bad or loose power or ground wire. At speed, the movement or vibration opens up the connection and you lose system power.

I suggest you start with the DESS post, do some testing per the manual.

+1
    Check the ground wires and their connections that go on the front of the engine (magneto housing) and the ground wires in the black electrical box,make sure no rust is present and all are getting a good contact

Thanks fheor all support.
    I have checked all ground wire connections. Its ok.
    I am thinking that maybe the problem at tps (throttle cable) and carburators.
    Please show me where can i buy a carburators rebuild kits and tps
    **no ohms at three wires of tps when checked.
    Any help would be great appreciated.

is this ski a DI model. you mentioned the TPS. I would check your Voltage regulator aswell. You will need to test it out of the water while hook to a hose. DI's are very hard on Voltage regulators. run thru the power range slowly so you can get a good reading. check out seadoomanuals.net find the year you have and follow the directions on the static test and Dynamic test. try this test and see what you come up with, I bet it is the voltage regulator going bad.

I had a DI model do the same thing last year to me.

The other guys had very good thoughts on what to do aswell

No,this ski is gsx limited 1999 with dual carburators.
    This model have a tps on throttle cable.
    Thanks

QUOTE=snoproken;2161831]is this ski a DI model. you mentioned the TPS. I would check your Voltage regulator aswell. You will need to test it out of the water while hook to a hose. DI's are very hard on Voltage regulators. run thru the power range slowly so you can get a good reading. check out seadoomanuals.net find the year you have and follow the directions on the static test and Dynamic test. try this test and see what you come up with, I bet it is the voltage regulator going bad.

I had a DI model do the same thing last year to me.

The other guys had very good thoughts on what to do aswell[/QUOTE]

you might have abad stator, or battery, if not check your coils, you might be loosing spark

Quote Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
    you might have abad stator, or battery, if not check your coils, you might be loosing spark
    Thanks for support.
    My jetski is max.rpm with full throttle on trailer. Is it bad stator, coils...?? but shut off engine on water around 30 mph. This ski has just 74 hours.

+1
    Have you replaced all the fuel lines (grey ones rot from the inside and stop fuel flow)and checked the water separator and cleaned it.
    Usually guys clean the carbs but dont change the fuel lines and then run the engine and then clog the carbs up immediately and the internal screens again from all the crap inside the grey fuel lines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information