+1

Cool Water in oil..MSX 150

Hi. im getting water in the oil. the antifreeze stays full so it must be from the raw water system. I bypassed the oil reserve and sill getting water in the oil. any ideas? is the turbo closed looped cooled or raw water cooled? any help...thanks. just rebuilt the engine and have 132 and 136 compression

Hi ratrace
    Are you getting a milky scum at the top of oil tank?
    If so it could be just condensation, there may be residual moisture in the system that takes a few oil changes to get rid of.
    If coolant ok and compression is ok then change oil a few times with cheaper oil then put the Mobil in and run it for a day and then check again. Hope its ok,unless of course it's foaming up all your oil then you've got trouble.
    Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Hitch007; 05-04-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

+1
    Fresh water in the oil is usually a leaking oil tank. So you noticed water in the oil... then you tried to bypass the oil tank... then checked oil again? Are you sure you got all the water out before you bypassed the oil tank? Otherwise, there's water in the oil both before and after your check... so can't prove anything.

The other common fresh water intrusion point is the small hole on the top of the oil separator (cyclone thing) on the battery side of the oil tank. Water inside the hull can get splashed up on this and in the small hole. The new upgrade oil tanks fix this problem... tank has built in cyclone and separate roll-over protection tank... good investment.

Hitch is right. It often takes a few oil changes to get all traces of water/coolant out of the oil (once problem is fixed). If it's just condensation in the oil... a good run on the water getting everything up to temp for a while will usually remove that small amount.

Cheers!

+1
    not a small amount. the oil turn almost a milk consistency. its watery. the oil tank fills...

I hate to hijack this thread, but I'm having a similar problem with my 04 MSX110. Except my oil isn't milky, its caramel colored. I have changed it over and over with Mobile 1 and still have the same problem. Coolant level is not dropping. I would think it is water, but I have let it sit in a clear plastic bottle (some for over a year now) and it will not separate. The ski runs fine and no check engine light, so I'm stumped. It also smells strongly like fuel. Any ideas?

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk MJ!

Does your oil appear aerated... ie whipped up with tons of tiny bubbles in it?

That caramel color sounds pretty normal to me. The oil is pumped twice. First... out of the tank it hits the high pressure pump that forces it through the oil filter and into the engine block. Then it drains into the sump and the sump pump (low pressure) pushes it out of the sump, through the oil cooler... and back into the oil tank. So this process does stir it up a bit... and my oil after running thins out a little (up to temp) and looks caramel colored also.

Now if you think your oil is getting contaminated with fuel... I'd do a compression test... and a leak-down test. A compression test will quickly determine if you might have cylinder issues like Nicasil plating failure (sadly common). If compression #s are good... the leak-down test will indicate how well sealed the pistons/rings are to the cylinders... which is where the fuel would get past and into the sump.

Plus... the Weber's are known to have very rich fueling at low-to-mid rev range...

Cheers!

I run a chemistry lab and we test oil here so let me give you all some advice for a simple test for water in oil.

Get yourself a pan on a stove and turn the burner on letting the pan heat up. You want the pan to get hot but not too hot so that when you put a drop of water on the pan, it will boil off/spit and bubble. Now put a drop of your oil under suspicion on the pan. If the oil bubbles and spits right away, you have water contamination. Clear oil will just sit there and not bubble. If you all want I can get a video of this to show.

Now as far as engine coolant in your oil, the coolant is going to be some form of glycol (ethylene glycol or propylene glycol, the latter should be the pink stuff). There is a test kit out there for testing glycol contamination in oil. http://www.hach.com/glycol-visual-te...61&callback=qs It is spendy, but if you are running into this issue as a suspicion a lot, it might be worth the investment.

Last thing I will say is my lab I run can do a full oil analysis for you if you want. It is $48 per test. The tests will tell you the ppm concentration of wear metals Fe, Cu, Cr, Al, Pb, Si, and Na. It will report viscosity, water (pos or neg), glycol (pos or neg) and fuel dilution (pos or neg). If you are at all interested in this, visit www.twinportstesting.com for instructions on how to send the chemistry lab a sample.

+1
    Hey Red... that's very useful info to know. Thanks for sharing!

Your lab run the same kind of tests that I hear lots of oil guys talking about getting done by Blackstone(??)?

Cheers!

Yes we do. You would be better off going through Blackstone though. My lab's main focus is solid fuels analysis (coal and biomass) so when someone wants a full oil analysis, we sub-contract it out to another lab because though we have the instruments for all of the analysis, we don't have the available labor time to do it. Thus we sub-contract it out.

I will reiterate that if you find yourself needing to know of glycol contamination in oil a lot, that test kit would be a good thing to pick up. It has enough for 25 tests and it is super simple to run, all you need is hot water.

Thread Information