Virage Txi 1200 Hop ups

Is there any impellers, intake grates or ride plates that will make a good performance gain, I dont need to gain much top end if any just dont want to loose any top end I am looking for bottom end. I dont want to do anything to the motor just bolt ons.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You want stronger acceleration, but do not want to change anything on the fuel injected Ficht engine, correct?

AND you do not want to lose any top speed?

Tell us about the current state of your machine. What is the sustained max RPM at full throttle on the water?

Where do you ride? Water conditions, air temperature?

How many hours on the engine since new, or since the last engine rebuild?

How long have you owned this machine?

I live in Ohio and only ride 5 months a year (hot and humid 80 to 90 degrees and 50% to 75% humidity) I have owned the machine for a year and a half and it has 49 hours since new, the lakes we ride on are busy with alot of boats so water conditions are choppy. I mostly tow the kids on a tube so I like having alot of acceleration, but I also enjoy doing some solo speed runs, I can hit 59 to 60 on the speedo with just me if I remember correct my rpm's are about 6700 at that speed, machine runs great so I dont want to mess with it to much i would just like a bit more punch and maybe a little smoother ride.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlt31971 View Post
    I live in Ohio and only ride 5 months a year (hot and humid 80 to 90 degrees and 50% to 75% humidity) I have owned the machine for a year and a half and it has 49 hours since new, the lakes we ride on are busy with alot of boats so water conditions are choppy. I mostly tow the kids on a tube so I like having alot of acceleration, but I also enjoy doing some solo speed runs, I can hit 59 to 60 on the speedo with just me if I remember correct my rpm's are about 6700 at that speed, machine runs great so I dont want to mess with it to much i would just like a bit more punch and maybe a little smoother ride.
    Well, the primary factor (other than engine power) that affects acceleration and towing grunt is the impeller choice and the diameter of the jet pump exit nozzle. Not the steering nozzle, the nozzle bolted to the back of the jet pump stator.

A larger diameter exit nozzle improves low end thrust and acceleration, but will modestly reduce top speed. There are aftermarket nozzles with replaceable exit rings that you can use to tune the nozzle either way. A smaller exit nozzle creates more top speed, but less acceleration.

The stock Virage impeller is an all around good unit. Check the clearances to the wear ring. Excessive blade clearance will reduce thrust. Optimal clearance would be 0.010" or less.

The Virage TXi already comes with the stainless steel 6 vane jet pump stator, again a good al around part. There are 8 vane stators that boost grip in rough water.

The intake grate can be upgraded easily, and is a common upgrade. I have the R&D intake grate on mine. There are three versions, one of which was OEM on the Polaris Pro hulls.

One upgrade that helps the engine is to add another fresh air intake to assist the two stock hull intakes. More fresh air into the hull allows the engine to inhale easier and provide more power. On the trailer, if you watch the seat while briefly (I mean really briefly) squeezing the throttle to 100% you will see the seat get sucked down. That means the engine is actually reducing the air pressure in the hull!

You would need to buy another stock air intake hull fitting and the flex tube behind it. The flex tube is important. It prevents the hull from filling with water if the machine is flipped over. The air tube must run from the vent down towards the bottom of the hull. When upside down, this same tube end will be above the water level, hence the hull does not flood through the air vents.

Ocean Pro made an aftermarket ride plate for the Virage hull. The stock 'bat wing' Virage ride plate is pretty good, but the Ocean Pro gives you an option.

Thread Information