Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Polaris 1200 into Hurricane swap

Whats involved? I have found ZERO documentation on this build other than one person selling one on GH. If someone has done it, its obviously do-able.

I picked up a hurricane off of CL for $200 last weekend and would like to do something with it.. but that 700cc motor isnt going to cut the mustard.

Ive owned a bunch of blasters. Looks very similar. Thought it would be a fun project. With double the HP over stock, it would also be a great spec-open boat.

Any insights?

I have a 1200 motor but its smoked. Two bad cyls and bottom end full of water. No electrics. Ill be better off buying a complete motor.

I do have a complete 1050 that is in pieces. That is a possible donor candidate...
    If the 1050 and the 1200 are the same footprint- Id rather go bigger... Whats the HP difference? 120 vs 130?

Talk to me polaris peeps.

Ive also never even seen a hurricane out on the water let alone ride one. Is it more like a blaster or HX or neither?

Looks very similar to a blaster and the blaster [to me] is one of the most fun skis ever made.

I do NOT care for the seadoo HX however. I Owned one about ten years ago and got rid of it after about two weeks. Rode one again for the first time last summer and still hated it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by caliburst View Post
    Whats involved? I have found ZERO documentation on this build other than one person selling one on GH. If someone has done it, its obviously do-able.

I picked up a hurricane off of CL for $200 last weekend and would like to do something with it.. but that 700cc motor isnt going to cut the mustard.

Ive owned a bunch of blasters. Looks very similar. Thought it would be a fun project. With double the HP over stock, it would also be a great spec-open boat.

Any insights?

I have a 1200 motor but its smoked. Two bad cyls and bottom end full of water. No electrics. Ill be better off buying a complete motor.

I do have a complete 1050 that is in pieces. That is a possible donor candidate...
    If the 1050 and the 1200 are the same footprint- Id rather go bigger... Whats the HP difference? 120 vs 130?

Talk to me polaris peeps.
    I have the Hurricane that Tim Atkinson converted to fit a 1200 motor. His project thread is on here somewhere.

It only saw water once during a test ride Tim did. Since the day I purchased the Hurricane it has never been in the water. There were some things I wanted to change, starting with an extended ride plate. Life got busy, other stuff happened, and then I stole the 1200 motor from the Hurricane to get an SL900 back on the water quickly.

That Hurricane is currently sitting without an engine, in storage. I do still want to fix it up and see how it plays. Some day ...

Things that need to be addressed when putting a three cylinder engine in the Hurricane hull;

The fuel tank needs to be modified to provide room for the longer engine. At least, this is how Tim did it. Tim had an aluminum tank built, but I am leaning towards using heat to modify the stock tank's shape to clear the engine.

Another option might be to relocate the large engine farther back and use a different driveshaft or an extended jet pump. I did some measurements and arithmetic a while ago, forget what my conclusions were.

The Hurricane uses a very long drive shaft, and requires a central support bearing to keep the drive shaft stable. This bearing was stock on the 1997 model, and became an upgrade for the 1996 hull, as I recall. The bearing assembly is unique to the Hurricane, and becomes another complication when shifting the engine backwards.

Tim converted to oil pre-mix as there was zero room at the front of the engine for the oil pump. I prefer the oil injection so I want to find a way to fit the oil pump.

The exhaust pipe is a tight fit. The 'log' style pipe as found in a Virage helps with the clearances, but some modifying is still needed.

Jet pump impeller needs to be matched to the engine power. I would also upgrade to a SS stator while I have the pump out.

Extending the ride plate is critical with the Hurricane. Even with stock power it porpoises madly, by all accounts. Welding the cast aluminum plate requires skill. In my case a five inch, as I recall, extension is planned using a section cut from a spare ride plate.

The Hurricane hull has an unusual bottom profile, and the engine weight seems quite far forward, especially with the three cylinder motor using the stock rear mount locations. It is unclear whether the hull would benefit from having the larger engine shifted rearwards, or not.

The bosses are there to drop the motor in correct? Just need to insert threads?

I expected to have to flex the gas tank in a bit. The gas tank looks to be a very odd shape. Unecessarily long and squat.

Running premix is not an issue. Im Running my blasters and stand ups on premix so Ive always got it on hand. Im used to running it. Its only on full size skis with huge gas tanks that you fill on the water and etc that premix becomes a pain in the balls.

The extended ride plate is an issue on 1100/1200 blasters too. I expected that.

Other than the obvious stuff, its pretty straight forward?

Is the 1050 a better choice/fit? I thought that there was a bigger jump in HP but were talking about 10hp.

If the exhaust is smaller and it clears the gas tank and etc easier, ill sacrafice the 10hp.

For whatever reason, the 1050s seem to be easier to come by as far as parts and parts skis and the prices are cheaper. Ive got two complete 1050 parts skis right now.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by caliburst View Post
    Is the 1050 a better choice/fit? I thought that there was a bigger jump in HP but were talking about 10hp.
    All the red three cylinder engines are the same physical size on the outside. Similar weights, but I don't recall the weight difference between 1050 and 1165 versions.

The Hurricane hull is not a top speed cruising hull, it is all about turns and acceleration. The 1050 motor is impressive, but perhaps not as much low end acceleration as the 1200. That said, the Hurricane hull is not that heavy, so it should launch pretty good with either engine if you can keep it hooked up to the water.
    Last edited by K447; 05-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.

The size of the pump is going to limit acceleration no matter how much power you throw at it.

Have you ridden one? Is it like a blaster? The appearance of the hull itself looks like a blaster-inspired design.

My advantage right now is that I have a lot of 1050 parts whereas all I have for 1200 stuff is a beat motor that is probably not worth rebuilding considering the cost of a complete used one is around $600

Im not looking for top speed. I want something I can ride like a go cart and throw into the turns. Blasters are the same deal- limited top speed but fun as shit to ride.

+1
    From I've read-there was an old magazine article comparing " sport class" pwc; the Blaster-HX and Hurricane. With the Hurricane being the largest of the 3, but also the most power. So I imagine it to be similar to the Blasters (it does lean into turns like a motorcycle) (asking Polaris guys how a Yamaha rides doesn't usually work...LOL ).

What about the HX didn't you like ? I saw a HX but did not ride it-it looked a bunch smaller than the Hurricane, but similar.

I think the Hurricane has the engine more centered in the hull than the SL's. I think that was so it lands more flat, than the tail first SL's

The Hurricane pump is the 148mm stator-just like the 1050's/1200's. I don't have any trouble with hook up with my 1050 or 1200. I have trouble keeping the nose down on take off, it will handle stock horse power just fine with the right prop.

There was someone on here that had a bunch of 2cyl power in a Blue Hurricane (Morg something or other )- he had trouble porposing over 58-59 mph, not sure what he had for a ride plate. The stock 1050 should see around 60mph
    Last edited by K447; 05-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post

What about the HX didn't you like ? I saw a HX but did not ride it-it looked a bunch smaller than the Hurricane, but similar.
    I couldn't ride it. I've been riding stand ups and blasters forever and yet somehow I couldn't balance on a HX. Once I fell off in deep water I couldn't get back on. It got old fast.

Here are some pics of the hurricane

Needs a heat fun treatment on hood and some mildew removal on seat or a new cover but its in great shape. Sat for years.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information