Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How does it handle?

I have been reading all the post and it looks like the 250 might be the first 4 stroke I would be willing to upgrade to. I currently race supercouse and the declining number of boats in my current class necessitates moving to another.

I have noticed most of the post have been about speed, some about tracking but almost none about turning. So here are some questions I have with the realization that everyone is still using stock sponsons.

1. How does it handle in cross chop? Any hunting or uneasy feelings when hitting waves at a 45 degree angle?

2. How does it handle the buoys? Sharpness of turns, tendency to slide out ect. Does fuel level make a differance?

3. Anyone ridden in 3'+ waves yet?

Comparing these traits to other known ski's would be very helpful.

Thanks, Eric

Its long and boring reading but alot of your questions are in here.

I will be going to the inlet soon. Tons of small rolers there and can get good photo shots.

http://www.floridasmarthomes.com/teammoto/?cat=1

+1
    In short: If you ride water that is rougher than 2ft, buy it. If you RACE in water that is rougher than 2ft, buy it.

1. Cross chop is phenominal. Unfreaking believable would be the term I used. I was hitting 2-3ft rollers yesterday, with a 5mph frontal wind, and 25-30mph side gust, and the ski hits the diagonals like butter...BAM BAM BAM you are through it with no ill-effects...and I was running a 2deg wedge!

2. Turning is incredible. You will hug a bouy and scare other boats.

3. Yes. My back hurts, and there is STILL a smile across my face today. This boat was MADE for rough water. PERIOD. You ever slice across the tops of 3-ft waves, say 3-5 to a set? You know how timing is so, so important? This ski almost makes it numb to find your rythm. I purposefully hit the 2nd and 3rd set of rollers WRONG to sky the nose and dunk the last wave, and it just settled in over the third, took a face full of water, unhooked the pump for like .5secs and KEPT ON MOVING forward. I literally stopped, turned around and sat there and thought about it for a second. It was absolutely wierd, scary fast in the rough stuff.

You know how hard it is to come out of the hole when you have 1-3ft waves sitting in front of you? So I just sat there at idle, and waited for a rogue wave to get blown in front of me and hit it.... BAM, I was rewarded with a face full of water, as the Ultra SHOT up to speed. It never lifted, went sideways or popped it's nose up.

Get a splash deflector. Even with the wedge, in really rough water, you will get soaked on turns and with backsplash.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
    I have been reading all the post and it looks like the 250 might be the first 4 stroke I would be willing to upgrade to. I currently race supercouse and the declining number of boats in my current class necessitates moving to another.

I have noticed most of the post have been about speed, some about tracking but almost none about turning. So here are some questions I have with the realization that everyone is still using stock sponsons.

1. How does it handle in cross chop? Any hunting or uneasy feelings when hitting waves at a 45 degree angle?

2. How does it handle the buoys? Sharpness of turns, tendency to slide out ect. Does fuel level make a differance?

Thanks, Eric

+1
    Whiplash,
    welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys View Post
    Get a splash deflector. Even with the wedge, in really rough water, you will get soaked on turns and with backsplash.
    Hydro,

Are you going to try 2 wedges??? Do you think that would be too much?

What spash deflector do you reccomend?

+1
    Yessir, I'll try up to 4 wedges just to see what it does.

That sure is a weird shaped nose on the Ultra. I'll try and install a Jetworks Flame 60" deflector and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys View Post
    ...Jetworks Flame 60" deflector...
    Do you mean JetTrim??? Flame Spraydeflector???

+1
    ha ha ha ha ha

Funny stuff right there!

Ya, that's it.

+1
    Here is the link.

http://www.jettrim.com/products/inde...ctid=2&imgid=9

Like I said, that nose has some funny shapes. I hope it fits!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post

Thanks, Eric
    Eric, it's an honest handling ride, nothing wierd. It can go on and off the pillow in the wash with ease. BUT, with a full tank of fuel 64 mph. You'll be in the wash alot at 64 mph following Rxp's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information