Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Standard fixes on GP1200R

Hello guys, just bought my first ski, a 2000 GP1200R. I took it out before i bought it and it took a couple minutes of cranking to get it going. I figured it was cold from sitting and needed to warm-up, which was the case. Then i took it out again today, again it took a little cranking to get it going but this time i also had to gas it when cranking just to get it going. I got it running, went out about 500 yards from the dock, and it just bogs down and dies. So im sitting out there cranking it with no success. Almost ran the battery out trying to get it to run. I would crank for 5 minutes at a time, it would fire very weakly a few times and die out. I would take the lanyard off for 5 minutes and try again. Went through that cycle for 20 mins or so till it finally runs like it did the very first time before i bought it. Ran fine all day, but when you leave it sitting for any amount of time more than 10 minutes and go back to start it, it acts like its ice cold. Can anyone weigh in on what this might be? I'm going to open it and check all the fuel lines, filter and pump. Check all the plugs and the wires. (Previous owner just replaced spark plugs 2 hours before i got it) and if those all check out i would assume the carbs are gunked up perhaps? And while I'm in there what are the notorious failures of a GP1200R i should look for/fix?

Thanks for the help in advance

+1
    Welcome aboard.....sounds like carbs/filter/tank i would start by rebuild/replace/clean those and refill with fresh gas premix oil or running a compression test first

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Another welcome to the Hulk from fellow GP1200R owner - you should do lots of reading (and in the process, learning) here.

Also - I hope youre not running that starter steadily for over 5-10 seconds at a time, or youll be replacing that part soon.

+1
    Fuel filter would be a quick easy check but I'm betting your carbs are gunked up. Would recommend adding the blue Marine Stabil to your ethanol-polluted gas, too. Had a GP760 that wouldn't start. Added stabil and it fired right up.
    Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by showmepro1200 View Post
    Another welcome to the Hulk from fellow GP1200R owner - you should do lots of reading (and in the process, learning) here.

Also - I hope youre not running that starter steadily for over 5-10 seconds at a time, or youll be replacing that part soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Fuel filter would be a quick easy check but I'm betting your carbs are gunked up. Would recommend adding the blue Marine Stabil to your ethanol-polluted gas, too. Had a GP760 that wouldn't start. Added stabil and it fired right up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokes View Post
    Welcome aboard.....sounds like carbs/filter/tank i would start by rebuild/replace/clean those and refill with fresh gas premix oil or running a compression test first
    Thanks for the welcomes guys, I've heard this is the forum to be on if you own a ski and I have been reading all i can when I have time.

Not running the starter for more than 5-7 seconds at a time. But if it needs to be replaced now, I'd rather take care of that before I hit the water again.

I checked the filter yesterday and it was at the right level but the gas inside was dark. A more thorough check will be completed when I get back to my garage and tools.

I'd bet alot of money the carbs are nasty inside. Sounds like it could be a fuel leak thats causing the system to have to prime itself again after sitting a while. While you're in there, check to make sure all the oil lines are secured properly.

+1
    Welcome fellow Y2K GP1200R. All the suggestions on here are great. Clean/Fresh gas...etc. But, you did what we have all done and bought a used ski. Unless it was properly maintained, you WILL eventually need to rebuild the carbs with genuine Mikuni rebuild kits. Learn how to do a pop-off test during the rebuilds. Check the color of your plugs after 10 hours use. They should be brownish/grey tips. If you see white....you're on the path to burn-out and get your butt back here and start asking more questions. I came here a newbie and have tore my ski down twice, rebuilt carbs twice, did some performance mods and now it's running great. One other place to look is a clogged cat-converter in the exhaust. This can cause hard starting and rough idle. Best mod for that is to do the cat-removal and replace with D-Plate & chip. Ride-On!

Oh yea, the two things you should do to a stock GP1200R is: 1. Gid rid of the oil injection and go with a premix. That oil pump WILL fail one day and your engine WILL burn up. 2. Do the D-Plate & Chip and get rid of the cat.

Don't forget the Wave Eater clips for the power valves and to lose the flapper on the fuel sending unit. If you stand on the tank a bit you can get the sending unit out without moving the tank. Fuel selector switch should go too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    The reason it started is because you added alcohol to it which is essentially an octane booster and the fuel from siting lost some. What the bottle doesn't tell you is that the more you add the leaner your motor runs. Not good, It's always better to start with fresh fuel.

Tips for fuel.
    http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...your-rush.html

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!! I went to wally world, picked up a 4 dollar hand primer bulb, stuck it on the fuel line that connects the filter to engine, pumped it about 7 times and bam, problem solved, starts and idles great every time. After looking through this ski I can tell the guy before me actually payed quite a bit of attention to detail and knew what he was doing. However, standard fixes as mentioned above:
    1. Wave eaters
    2. Oil pump delete
    3. stage 1 riva kit
    4. Mikuni rebuild
    5. Rejet the carbs while rebuilding

also gonna seafoam it, like evey other engine ive ever bought

hopefully those will produce a really nice ski that will last me a few years until i can afford an FX

I searched pop-off tests but couldn't find a step by step breakdown of how to perform one, anyone know of a good thread?

And what is a flapper on the fuel sending unit?

Appreciate all the help guys!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information