+1

GTX S / suspension

Does anyone have any thoughts on the duabiltity of the suspension system in salt water use or any other info on problems, how well it works, engine access etc. Thinking of getting one to make it easier on my 58 yo bones.
    Thanks for any thoughts

+1
    They are excellent for rough water riding.
    No issues or problems on the gtx IS I had and it was wave jumping all the time.
    Sold it at over 150 hours.
    The only thing with the I S models is that access to the engine compartment is limited.
    Post ride cleaning is a must in salt water.
    I had salt crystals inside my engine area.
    It still ran like a champ.

+1
    Thanks for the feedback - any others ?

+1
    I have 2 2011 RXTis', they have been trouble free.
    Very comfortable ride, (we are nearly as old as you), access is tight, but things that you need to get to for maintenance are not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by gbest View Post
    I have 2 2011 RXTis', they have been trouble free.
    Very comfortable ride, (we are nearly as old as you), access is tight, but things that you need to get to for maintenance are not bad.
    Sorry to thread jack, but what RPM at WOT are you getting?

to the OP, I love my 2011 RXT IS ski. The engine access is tight, but you can do most of the basic maintenance with the opening. Its great for the rough water.

+1
    I've had an RXT iS since the day it came out in 2009 and it was used exclusively in saltwater (Gulf/Tampa). Just upgraded to the '13 version. Obviously I'm convinced that the suspension is worthwhile, but it comes at a price.
    I only had 1 issue with the suspension, the shock broke at ~ 80h (2nd season) and the ride home sucked but it's manageable at slow speed. Compare it to broken shocks on a car (all 4 broken). Repair was covered under warranty and fixed quickly. No issues with corrosion, I'm almost willing to bet you won't have corrosion issues even if you leave it sitting in saltwater. They did a very good job picking the right materials. The rest of the ski is just like any other SeaDoo and you have to flush etc.
    Engine access sucks, end of story. In return you get one of the driest hulls out there. The engine is completely encapsulated and you do not have spray or any other water dripping on your engine. In one season I pretty much only cover the engine with corrosive protection every 3 month and even that seems excessive. Really depends on how you ride though, if it's rough you will get water spillage into the engine compartment but the definition of rough is on a different level.
    How does the suspension feel is another question people ask. Compare it to a motorcycle with soft tail or a car with sports suspension vs 'normal' suspension or maybe compare it to a mountain bike with suspension vs none. By all means you feel connected, but it will take out the sharp peaks. If you ever had any trouble walking the day after a ride you won't have it on a suspension ski. I typically due 60-70 miles for a tour in 2-3ft waves and it's 'pleasant' compared to the other non-suspension skis I owned.
    How does it compare to aS or non-suspension? Speed and acceleration minimally different. Only difference is due to extra weight. I think it's 100lbs extra but don't quote me on that. For weekend warriors it's really a non-issue imho.
    Overall,the ski is very low maintenance, flush after each ride and buy yourself a wet-vac. Only irritant for me is the cleaning under the suspended hull. You have to raise it because the water pools underneath. Using a wet-vac turned this into a non-issue but deal with the fact that it's very hard to clean under the foot wells. A neat freak would freak out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxt260_is View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gbest View Post
    i have 2 2011 rxtis', they have been trouble free.
    sorry to thread jack, but what rpm at wot are you getting?

To the op, i love my 2011 rxt is ski. The engine access is tight, but you can do most of the basic maintenance with the opening. Its great for the rough water.
    8040-8060 wot.

+1
    I S skis really are amazing in rough waters..
    You can ride all day and not feel beat up..
    What ever you buy just make sure you get the max extended warranty..
    If anything breaks on a I.S. ski it isn't easily fixed and its NOT CHEAP...

9. +1 by:

Thread Information