+1

Need info on purchasing a 2002 GTX 4tec

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 4tec. I am looking at information on what updates these machines required to keep reliable. I remember reading the upgrades available to get them close to 60mph, but I am concerned about anything else I should be looking at. Is the stock pump OK or should it be upgraded? I don't know the hours on the machine yet, but I assume it is less than 200. It has been sitting winterized for the past two years.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 4tec. I am looking at information on what updates these machines required to keep reliable. I remember reading the upgrades available to get them close to 60mph, but I am concerned about anything else I should be looking at. Is the stock pump OK or should it be upgraded? I don't know the hours on the machine yet, but I assume it is less than 200. It has been sitting winterized for the past two years.

I've got a 2002 GTX 155 w/ about 80 hours on it. So far only thing needing replacement was an ignition coil, hood shock, and IAC valve (controls idle).

The potential concerns are:

• The jet pump is the older plastic design...not as strong and increasingly hard to find replacements. Mine still looks new at 80hrs.
    • I believe they also used a different drive shaft from any of the other 4tec years.
    • Some 2002 had issues with the crank shaft snapping- odds are if it hasnt yet, it probably wont.

It's not the best platform (155HP NA) to try to gain speed from.

I'm sure others will pipe in on other issues.

I would expect to pay less than $3k with sub 100 hours and $2-$2.5k w/ 100-200 hours

+1
    +1 on the jet pump, their the older plastic design but ok.

The drive shaft was of an older design which has now been replaced by a newer type. I you need to change it for any reason for the newer version, you will need to purchase the PTO bearing assembly to go with the newer shaft, as the `O`ring seals are no longer on the shaft but inside the PTO bearing. We changed ours due to the older shaft being heavily corroded, right at the c clip.

The only other thing we had any trouble with was the oil pressure switches, which is a known problem. They have been changed and we have had no trouble since.

Ski runs great and has 160 hrs on it.

Thread Information