Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to adjust lean carburetor: it has hesitation or stalls unless i barely give gas

It stalls or tries to go dead unless i ease off and get over about 10 mph, then it does great. It is a 1996 polaris sltx 1050 and only has low adjustments. I took off carburetors and cleaned them, but may just be lean and need adjusting. I have adjusted the main idle, but never the low screws

+1
    Does it die right away when you hit the throttle or does it cough sputter and blubber? http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15473

blubber and feels like it is bogging down. I looked at that link, but mine already has only one speed adjuster( a low one). Not sure how to start adjusting with 3 different ones. Is there a method of adjusting these? Like screw all the way in and then back out a certain number of times??
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Does it die right away when you hit the throttle or does it cough sputter and blubber? http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15473

Awesome, I kept reading on your link, It said i need to set my screws at 1 turn out. Maybe that will fix it. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmd13 View Post
    ... mine ... has only one speed adjuster( a low one). ... Is there a method of adjusting these?

Like screw all the way in and then back out a certain number of times?? ...
    Beware the differences between the Mikuni carburetors which are common on the blue Fuji engines and the Keihin carburetors which are common on the red domestic engines.

The stock Keihin carbs used by Polaris only have a single low speed adjustment screw. All other adjustments are done via changes to the internal jets in the Keihin carbs. AND I think there was a couple of versions of the Keihin carbs, so it is important to know which carbs you have, and what they are jetted for.

Note: In 1999 on the X45 Anniversary model Polaris used 'Bing' carbs. Bing are similar to the Keihins, but not quite identical.
    Last edited by K447; 05-09-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: 1999 X45 used Bing carburetors

They are the Keihin cdk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... mine ... has only one speed adjuster( a low one). ... Is there a method of adjusting these?

Like screw all the way in and then back out a certain number of times?? ...
    Beware the differences between the Mikuni carburetors which are common on the blue Fuji engines and the Keihin carburetors which are common on the red domestic engines.

The stock Keihin carbs used by Polaris only have a single low speed adjustment screw. All other adjustments are done via changes to the internal jets in the Keihin carbs. AND I think there was a couple of versions of the Keihin carbs, so it is important to know which carbs you have, and what they are jetted for.

Note: Somewhere along the line Polaris used Bing carbs for some models/years. Bing are similar to the Keihins, but not quite identical.

+1
    They are the Keihin cdk 2
    Factory settings were Main jets M142 C142 P128, Mids 58, slows 58. Low speed screw out 1 turn.

+1
    It stalls or tries to go dead unless i ease off and get over about 10 mph, then it does great. It is a 1996 polaris sltx 1050 and only has low adjustments. I took off carburetors and cleaned them, but may just be lean and need adjusting. I have adjusted the main idle, but never the low screws
    The 96 SLTX came with 38mm carbs with an accelerator pump. There should be a small brass fitting in each carb throat,fuel should spray out of there when the throttle is squeezed.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    The 96 SLTX came with 38mm carbs with an accelerator pump. There should be a small brass fitting in each carb throat,fuel should spray out of there when the throttle is squeezed.
    My boat did this when it's accelerator pump stopped up. I don't think mine has them. Is your carbs the red keighlin cdk 2 carbs?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    That's odd, the manual doesn't indicate this. It does for the 97 SLTX however....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information