Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2012 FX-SHO stage 1 install, impeller help

Hey Guys, I am brand new to this forum (and forums in general) but thought I could start off with a new build I am doing and hopefully get some help with impeller selection.

On Saturday my friend Mark (jetpilot785) and I installed the following in my 2012 FX-SHO:

-R&D Aquavein Intake Grate (w/ seal kit)
    -R&D Anti-Cavitation Cone
    -R&D Pro Comp. Cool Air Filter Kit
    -R&D Engine/Intercooler Cooling Kit
    -R&D R3 ECU Reflash
    -R&D C1 Wheel
    -TIAL 50mm Surge/Blowoff Valve
    -13/21 Pro Pitch Impeller
    -R&D Power Core Intake Manifold/Intercooler CFM Kit
    -Tiny Tach

On Sunday we got the following results:

-75[mph] (gps) at 8850[rpm]. Air temp ~75[F], water temp unknown but in the 50's I would guess. Full tank of gas and my 230[lbs] on it.

-77.2[mph] (gps) at 8850. Full tank and Mark on it.

-From a dead stop it slams the limiter and cavitates like crazy even with the trim fully down.

-From a running start ~10[mph]+ the machine pulls like crazy! Huge difference in acceleration, response and handling.

So two things I hope to fix: spinning the motor too fast on the top end and cavitating like crazy on the low end. I plan on swapping in a 13/23 pro pitch we have on hand. Think this is the right pitch to go with? Any recommendations or other experience?

+1
    That would probably be a good choice. Your ski will slow down some but I think thats a lot of RPM to be turning.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotnicmd View Post
    Hey Guys, I am brand new to this forum (and forums in general) but thought I could start off with a new build I am doing and hopefully get some help with impeller selection.

On Saturday my friend Mark (jetpilot785) and I installed the following in my 2012 FX-SHO:

-R&D Aquavein Intake Grate (w/ seal kit)
    -R&D Anti-Cavitation Cone
    -R&D Pro Comp. Cool Air Filter Kit
    -R&D Engine/Intercooler Cooling Kit
    -R&D R3 ECU Reflash
    -R&D C1 Wheel
    -TIAL 50mm Surge/Blowoff Valve
    -13/21 Pro Pitch Impeller
    -R&D Power Core Intake Manifold/Intercooler CFM Kit
    -Tiny Tach

On Sunday we got the following results:

-75[mph] (gps) at 8850[rpm]. Air temp ~75[F], water temp unknown but in the 50's I would guess. Full tank of gas and my 230[lbs] on it.

-77.2[mph] (gps) at 8850. Full tank and Mark on it.

-From a dead stop it slams the limiter and cavitates like crazy even with the trim fully down.

-From a running start ~10[mph]+ the machine pulls like crazy! Huge difference in acceleration, response and handling.

So two things I hope to fix: spinning the motor too fast on the top end and cavitating like crazy on the low end. I plan on swapping in a 13/23 pro pitch we have on hand. Think this is the right pitch to go with? Any recommendations or other experience?

Once it warms up your rpms will go down anyways. I believe Jim can direct you to the correct prop set up for your specific application. Hell, lose some fuel and you will run a mile an hour faster.

are you sure the intial setting on the tiny tach are set up right ? how much boost are you seeing ? the pitch and rpms dont make sense unless that pro pitch is reallyyy off or your running a different wheel entirely.example i have a stock wheel 13/21 7750rpm 7.5psi boost 73.8-75 mph

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hialeahchiko305 View Post
    are you sure the intial setting on the tiny tach are set up right ? how much boost are you seeing ? the pitch and rpms dont make sense unless that pro pitch is reallyyy off or your running a different wheel entirely.example i have a stock wheel 13/21 7750rpm 7.5psi boost 73.8-75 mph
    It's a different boat than the prior models. Try the bigger root angle solas. These boats have 87mm nozzles versus 83mm for the prior model and that prop is going to be way too easy to spin with the 87mm. You can try a smaller nozzle but the ski won't come out of the hole as good.
    Last edited by nashvegas; 05-06-2013 at 08:30 PM.

+1
    Wow I didn't know they came with 87 nozzles.

+1
    Welcome Robot'. I have the same machine and will be keeping an eye on your progress.

Yeah I am sure its setup right (720[deg]). The RPM's are real because I have the R3 reflash pushing it up there. No idea on the boost yet, waiting on getting a guage.

Quote Originally Posted by nashvegas View Post
    It's a different boat than the prior models. Try the bigger root angle solas. These boats have 87mm nozzles versus 83mm for the prior model and that prop is going to be way too easy to spin with the 87mm. You can try a smaller nozzle but the ski won't come out of the hole as good.
    Do you know if the FZR's have a 83mm nozzle too? The reason we went with a 13/21 to begin with was experience with a similar setup on a '09 FZR.

09 FZR has a 83mm nozzle just like the older SHO's now the new FZR's well your guess is as good as mine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information