Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2000 Virage just purchased

Hey guys,

I'm new to the seadoo. I just purchased my house and my best friend left me his seadoo. Now it has not ran for over 6 years. He could not figure it out, and all it needed was a battery. Well i bought a new battery the other day and fired right up no issues. Now my biggest question, it sat for that long, i did put fresh gas into it and oil. Fires up and run perfect on the water hose. What maintance do i need to do, only has 47.3 hours i believe on it. It is the 2 cyl oil injected. I'm not home currently to be able to look more at it. I have found one grease point to the drive shaft. But other than that, i'm lost on maintance. and yes it has the gray fuel lines i have been reading about all day at work to replace, and will be doing that in the next few weeks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome )

Note: Seadoo is a brand name of watercraft, a former competitor to Polaris when Polaris was still making watercraft. We just call them PWC (Personal WaterCraft)

My signature links should get you started in the right direction.

Confirm that the engine is carburetor, not fuel injected.

Two cylinders or three?

Note: All Polaris watercraft came from the factory with oil injection*

Any watercraft that has sat for several years needs a good going over. Do not assume anything on the machine is actually 'good' until you have checked it, cleaned, it, upgraded it, fondled or lubricated it

* There is always an exception, the Polaris Octane

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome )

Note: Seadoo is a brand name of watercraft, a former competitor to Polaris when Polaris was still making watercraft. We just call them PWC (Personal WaterCraft)

My signature links should get you started in the right direction.

Confirm that the engine is carburetor, not fuel injected.

Two cylinders or three?

Note: All Polaris watercraft came from the factory with oil injection*

Any watercraft that has sat for several years needs a good going over. Do not assume anything on the machine is actually 'good' until you have checked it, cleaned, it, upgraded it, fondled or lubricated it

* There is always an exception, the Polaris Octane
    My PWC is a 2 cyl with carb. red motor. I finally got the security code reset on the PWC. I have gone over a bit of it. From carb to camera in the motor. All looks clean. Only bad thing is the previous owner used WD-40 in the cyl's. Didn't "fog?" it. Only question is greese points. I can only find 1, is there more?

As far as I know just the drive shaft bearings is the only part you grease with a grease gun. The cables should just be sprayed and worked with WD-40 or another multi purpose lube. Just check oil hoses too. And replace the oil line filter. The $2 oil line filter could save your $1000 engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Paresmotorsports View Post
    As far as I know just the drive shaft bearings is the only part you grease with a grease gun. The cables should just be sprayed and worked with WD-40 or another multi purpose lube. Just check oil hoses too. And replace the oil line filter. The $2 oil line filter could save your $1000 engine.
    WD-40 is not a useful lubricant in my book. It was originally marketed as a Water Displacement product, made with fish oil and kerosene, I think the story goes.

Formula for the current WD-40 product has been tweaked since the original, but still not good lubricant. Short term effectiveness, and limited lubricity.

Drive shaft through-hull bearing carrier is the only Zerk fitting, but certainly not the only thing that needs lubrication. Drive shaft splines like to be greased, which requires removing the jet pump. Inspection of the jet pump is a good thing.

Cables can benefit from lubrication, but it is not easy to get the lube forced all the way down the cable length.

6. +1 by:

+1
    fondled
    Is there a write up for this in your signature links?

Quote Originally Posted by Paresmotorsports View Post
    WD-40 is not a useful lubricant in my book. It was originally marketed as a Water Displacement product, made with fish oil and kerosene, I think the story goes.

Formula for the current WD-40 product has been tweaked since the original, but still not good lubricant. Short term effectiveness, and limited lubricity.

Drive shaft through-hull bearing carrier is the only Zerk fitting, but certainly not the only thing that needs lubrication. Drive shaft splines like to be greased, which requires removing the jet pump. Inspection of the jet pump is a good thing.

Cables can benefit from lubrication, but it is not easy to get the lube forced all the way down the cable length.
    Yes that is true. I used 3 in 1 oil on my cables using a piece of fuel hose and a hose clamp. Clamp the hose on the cable fill it up with lube and leave it up right over night as it will creep though all the way. But almost every one has a can of wd in their shed or garage. PB blaster is also good too. I also did my splines too but only because I had the engine and jet pump out already.

Banned User
    +1
    You could even use a little air pressure on the oil filled hose to force it through the cable.

+1
    Well went outside today to start the ski up, It was locked of course. Went to push the start/stop button and nothing happened. Normally the speedo will sweep and ask me for my code. I unlocked the ski, and still nothing. Removed the battery and it fired up my lawn mower with ease. I put it on my charger and showed 90% charged. And this battery reads 11.1 volts cranking. When it did crank. I put the battery back into the ski and it fired right up. Now the weird part. I killed it and would not fire back up. No crank, no clicking, no nothing. Checked all the fuses. All looks good. No corrosion anywhere. Any ideas?

+1
    Is the starter solenoid made of black plastic with metal backing plate? If yes, these are known to corrode internally and fail. The replacement part is a much better design.

Also check the two wire small connector at the solenoid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information