+1

162-00002 - R&D FX H/O Pump Shoe Seal Kit - Does it really make a difference ?

That's the only thing missing from the R&D Stage 1 kit that came with my FX HO ski and I'm wondering if it's worth getting, will i notice any difference ?
    No ocean riding mainly calm lakes. I don't see how tiny air bubbles would make a noticeable difference but I could be wrong.

+1
    Yes it makes a big difference in cavitation.

i would do it especially since your on the stock prop just to be safe.when you increase power and you can start to overspin the prop and burn it up.when i pulled my stock prop out at 70mph it was all blistered from the cavitation.

+1
    thanks guys, what if i were to put back the oem grate, is the seal kit still needed ? just trying to figure out why if the kit makes a big difference Yamaha would not put one unless of course they are trying to save as much money as they can. I don't mind spending $70 on a kit i just don't feel like messing around with it in case i break any bolts taking the grate out. but if it means better handling and stability on the water then i'm all for it but since i mainly just cruise around i don't care much about speed.

+1
    Why would you break bolts taking the grate out? Have you sealed the grate with 4200 or something?

I busted some bolts (even with heat) pulling them off my 06 last season. Had to replace the the pieces that the bolts screw into inside the hull, they popped up pretty easily with some heat and were cheap.

+1
    had the pump seal kit ordered from the local dealer, i'm actually glad i looked into this as the bolts where quite loose probably when the intake grate was upgraded they didn't use any thread locker, i guess now i can do some tests between stock and the R&D grate and on lake riding and the pump seal kit.

Thanks guys.

+1
    i got the kit today but it doesn't fit looks like there is a difference between 2008 fx ho and older fx ho's from what i can tell the intake grate pump on 08 is the same as sho
    I wish r&d would mention that instead of wasting my money now i have to pay restocking fee anyhow can anyone tell me which is the ride part number for 2008 fx ho do i just order the one for 2008 sho ?

Thread Information