EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Piping, Couplers, etc. Measurement Issues

OK... so i'm devising an air intake. Not as easy as it seems bc i'm a perfectionist and expect everything to be down to the science and to a T by a 1/32" ...

Is PVC measured by I.D. or O.D.?

are Silicone couplers measured by I.D. or O.D.?

i went to two different home depots to do some brainstorming and i got two different answers to the above questions...

What size rubber coupler does Riva use to go from the SC to the air intake tube? is it 2.75" ?

what size tube is Riva's air intake? and is that I.D. or O.D.?

Let's say i want to run a 3" air intake in my RXT using shed 40 PVC... i can't find the right couplers and sizes and ID and ODs to go from the 3" PVC to the supercharger inlet... some kinda funky reducer?

OR>>>> i need to find piping the same size as riva's power filter intake, but i don't know what size that tube is and where to find it...

LOTS of questions i know... i thank you for your patience in advance, i guess just go thru my questions 1 by 1 and answer them if you can help out.

get me from the Supercharger inlet to a 3" PVC ... or tell me what size pipe would couple up exactly with the SC and i'll stay consistent at that diameter and where to find that pipe since home depot only has 2" or 3", nothing inbetween

+1
    pvc is measured in O.D. teh couplers are also O.D. i used a 3" to couple to teh riva intake, it has to squeeze it a little bit but it worked ok, i found that lowes has some flexible alluminum tubing, i use the 4" running into the front storage compartment, that works alot better than a modified riva, it flows alot more too, i gained about 50 rpm by taking out the riva, i just couple a 2.5 inch to 4" coupler at the charger which i sealed up the aluminum tubing with some 40/40 epoxy, that is my rough water and jumping intake, i have a setup now where i will use the rear vent to run on the river for top speed, both are good but i think the rear intake is a little better for throttle response especially, but to answer your ? it is measured in O.D.

good luck

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    I think using something like 2.5" would be better. I think thats what the charger inlet is. It doesn't make any sense to run something bigger, especially 4" when the charger inlet is only 2.5" or 3". I would think the bigger plumbing would only take up more room. As far as PVC goes i think thats the best ber because metal soaks and holds heat more than plastic. I haven't started work on mine yet but it definetly sounds like the best bet. Also it wouldn't hurt to insulate the intake plumbing to keep it from soaking up heat from the engine compartment. Just my 2 cents.

+1
    Just my opinion:

When running to the rear vent there is NO need for insulating. Heat will not be a problem on such a short run. Also, the less bends, less restictions (coil pipe) less heat. This causes turbulence which is friction which produces heat. I`ve already coverred this. If you have access to a brake press you could roll a tube out of sheet. If you could taper a 4" hole down to a 2.5 then you will get the ideal intake for a blower. Condensing air.

+1
    I also must warn that people doing this mod should heavily consider going with a cooler thermostat.

+1
    Why is that HOSS?

Thread Information