2005 stx 15f... can't get diagnostic mode?

I'm repairing a 2005 STX 15f, and it's not pumping fuel at all. This thing has sat for a long, long time. I did the usual oil change, spark plugs, etc.. and it cranks great and runs with some ether and sounds fine. But it's not getting any fuel, which I verified by disconnecting the line to the fuel rail and cranking.. nothing. Anyways, I really haven't gotten any further into it to see what the issue is, but reading in the manual it says there is a self-diagnostic mode. Regardless of whether or not that will even help, I can't figure out how to even get it into that mode. I held the MODE + SET buttons for 3 seconds or more like it says in the manual, and then the MODE button for 1 second (Also tried the Set button for the second step as per service manual.) All I'm getting at most is the Clock Set mode. What gives? Am I a complete moron here, I mean I followed the instructions and went back and did it about 20 times. Does there have to be a fault for the diagnostic mode to even come up? The manual sure made it sound simple.

Also, any well known problems with these fuel pumps that I should know about? Thanks for any help!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Check the thread in my signature.

Sean

I am having trouble with this too, which thread are u referring to pls, thank you

+1
    Diagnostic mode wont help you, if you follow the thread in my signature it will tell you thr troubleshooting steps to follow.

Sean

I've got the heat warning coming on every now and then. Ski doesn't appear to be overheating. The engine and water box are warm to hot but not too hot IMHO. Was hoping it could tell me which temp sensor to replace as water seems to be flowing were it should be

+1
    Winston, Look in Smokeysevins signature and you will find a trouble shooting link. Toddnbrown you will most likely have a rusted up fuel pump and needs to be pulled out and checked (May be easier to pull glove box Philip head screws and remove box to see)

+1
    It wont go into the diagnostic mode unless it has something to tell you. That's how it is on my 12F is anyway.. And be sure to follow the others advice and check out the troubleshooting thread..

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx2 View Post
    Winston, Look in Smokeysevins signature and you will find a trouble shooting link. Toddnbrown you will most likely have a rusted up fuel pump and needs to be pulled out and checked (May be easier to pull glove box Philip head screws and remove box to see)
    +1
    I just pulled a 15f fuel pump thru the glovebox hole and it was covered in rust(so rusty you would think the tank was full of salt water) .
    drop in used pump and new filter and all is good now

9. +1 by:

+1
    Be sure to actually check the pressure too, its easy to let that go after swapping the pump and end up going boom later.

Sean

11. +1 by:

Thread Information