Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

250x Super Charger rotas

Hello all,

I have again had to strip down my Super Charger clean and reassemble, I last ran my ski 8 weeks ago on the sea OK and have since run the engine for 10-12 seconds off the hose between now and then a couple of times (2/3weeks apart). I went too change out my SC belt as the one fitted has run around 35/40hrs over last 2 seasons, after I removed the belt I went to turn my SC by hand and couldn't!

I'm not sure that, if I reconnected it and turned the engine over it would have freed as it has always run OK past few times off the hose, so I removed the SC and stripped it down. I found the non driven rota to have a small chip missing from the teflon about the size of a small pea. I had a spare SC with the main rota knackered, so I swapped the good (ish) free rota with my SC to make a good one. Have put it all back together and fitted to ski (yet to run engine as other parts still in bits). The SC now turns free by hand with a small bind felt at the same point through 360 deg.

I did notice a couple of very small blisters about an inch up one of the rota's, which I guess is the begining corrosion underneath and the most likley reason I have a small bind at one point.

Question:
    Have people noticed small blisters before, and how long before Teflon delaminates enough to cause failure? I know it's a how long is a bit of string type question, but just after a rough idea? 5hrs/10hrs/20hrs???

I am hoping to get another season out of this SC before i replace it (3/4months 20hrs).

+1
    good luck your guess is as good as anyones

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    lube lube lube lube lube lube lube lube the charger on 250/60 if saltwater riding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then these corrosion issue are GORN

Waz

how long is a piece of rope ............

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    lube lube lube lube lube lube lube lube the charger on 250/60 if saltwater riding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then these corrosion issue are GORN

Waz

how long is a piece of rope ............
    I modded my upper SC horn with a couple of welded bushes and blanking plugs so I could fog the SC, did this early 2011 and fogged after every other ride, end of season I fogged aload in the SC and let ski stand for a few months, SC was siezed when i went to turn engine over, hence my strip clean early 2012 and concluded fogging was bad as it seam to make the salty crystals into a think sludge. So last season (summer 2012) I did not fog and just ensured I turn the engine over every 2/3 weeks to keep the SC moving, which I thought worked until above when I removed SC belt!

I did post this up on another thread on here and yes, maybe I put too much fogging oil in previousley, so this year I will fog again and only give a squirt for 3-5 seconds.

My ski history (95% salt water use)-

-Brought new June 2009 - January 2011 45hrs & never fogged, no problems.
    -January 2011 modded my SC upper horn after reading issues on here, started to fog my SC after every other ride last ran Sept 2011 & winterised with about 60hrs.
    -January 2012 SC siezed, stripped SC rotas fine, cleaned up and rebuilt, ran to Sept 2012 with about 75hrs (ski ran every 2/3 weeks for 10/12 seconds on trailer).
    -March 2013 - ran ski Ok for about half an hour on the sea, April have gone to replace belt and SC wont turn by hand (as above)

In an ideal world it would be good if you could flush out the SC with fresh water after each ride, I guess I will find out how long this bit of rope is over next few months, I will squirt abit of fogging oil in pre ride aswell now to help lubricate the SC during running (for what it's worth?).

I was hoping someone on here may have seen small blisters on there SC rotas and have let it run, this would give me some idea of how long you have left with a degrading SC rota.

I will feedback on this post in time and see how far i get with it....

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    I understand what your saying .

But I ride 100% salt

1 st year on my 2007 ultra I nipped a SC due to NONE fogging.

then after that 100+hr ( 70 on a 1-1 pulley kit ) with fogging and seat off action NEVER siezed again . or any of my MANY ultra customers

technique over volume every time ( and p[roduct make a BIT difference )

but as for how long will blisters last ....I have seen as much as 50 hrs down to a 1/2 enduro before it crapped it self

Waz

+1
    i sold mine with over 200hrs on it so it does come down to how you look after it. btw it had a pulley kit on it for well over 80hrs...ive had others in the workshop seized and damaged at 25hrs

"50hrs to half enduro"

LOL - My ski is just about back together again and should be ready for a run out this Satuday, I plan to put a couple of hrs on it as a bit of a shake down run before season starts. If it comes through that OK, I will get abit of confidence from it.

Thanks for the replys

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    i sold mine with over 200hrs on it so it does come down to how you look after it. btw it had a pulley kit on it for well over 80hrs...ive had others in the workshop seized and damaged at 25hrs
    200hrs, I tip my hat to you Sir.

Agree looking after your pride and joy does count for quiet abit, some things though (off tipic) like heads cracking are just bad luck, I have roughly 75hrs now and other than steering cable and SC the ski has run fine. Over what time period did you put 200hrs on it? I always think ski's that get used regulary will get high hours OK, they never like sitting around not running. did you have any major issue during the 200hrs?

+1
    2.5yrs approx lots of issues some self inflicted a few heads, pistons and such but no s/c issues.

A few heads
    Am i right in a cracked head hrdro locks the engine which in turn can cause piston & crank damage?
    To date I have be OK/lucky with my head and do not like the idea of a $2300 bill for a new 2011 head + $$$ gaskets, pistons, vaulves etc....

I run the Rogue OEM pulley kit on mine, which I think is one of the best mods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information