Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Bad gas......curious answers...own thoughts?

Gents, have a seadoo 05 RXT, sat for 6-7 months. Full tank, but, gas separated. Called Lynnwood moto plex, told me to drain tank...Everett power sports, told me to use Lucas fuel system cleaner (5.50 Vs $75 worth of gas). Went with Lucas cleaner...any thoughts out there in agreement or other? Never had issue before, never been off more than 6 weeks before, but this was a doozy!
    Thanks...

+1
    I pump my ski's tanks out at the beginning of every season. I use a $10 hand operated pump an a 5gal can to remove the fuel - I don't know if the fuel has separated I just dump it in my pickup.

This is from a online source -

"The good news is that we now have products available to prevent and control Phase Separation and that we can dramatically reduce or eliminate most of the problems caused by Ethanol in Gasoline.

Because of all the problems with Ethanol Blended gasoline’s we will list some specific suggestions and recommendations on how to deal with and resolve many of these problems.

When Phase Separation occurs in fuel tank on a vehicle, boat or other piece of equipment, the tank should be completely drained. The tank should be refilled with good fuel and the fuel line purged prior to restarting the engine.

For Seasonal vehicles and equipment, e.g. boats, personal water-craft, motorcycles, classic cars, ATV’s, RV’s, lawn and garden equipment, gasoline powered generators, and so on, we recommend that you try to use conventional gasoline without Ethanol whenever possible and particularly prior to storage.

In ALL Two-Cycle gasoline engines where there is any possibility that you are using gasoline containing Ethanol we strongly suggest using a full synthetic two-cycle oil in the gas.

In bulk storage tanks where you believe phase separation may have occurred or where you are concerned it may happen. We suggest the use of a modified water finding paste such is made by the Kolor Kut Company. This paste starts out brown, if you dip the tank with a measuring stick with the paste and it turns yellow (even light or spotty yellow), you have significant water dissolved in the fuel, if the paste turns red you have free water.

If you have fuel that has Phase Separated and you have either two or three layers you should arrange to have the tank pumped from the bottom to remove the one or two bottom layers containing the water and or the Ethanol/Water mix. (Note: you should check again with the paste before the technician leaves to be certain that all the Water and Water/Ethanol has been completely removed). You do not need to remove the gasoline. Check with water finding paste after 24 hours. If no red or yellow present then add clean fuel to the tank to working capacity.

Diesel Doctor"

Source - http://www.lcbamarketing.com/phase_s...hanol_blen.htm

+1
    I put Lucas fuel Injector cleaner in all the skis I buy.
    Most have had old fuel in them.
    It works great.

A clogged Injector can ruin a piston fast.
    It's best to pump n dump the old fuel and run Lucas with a fresh tank.
    $75 in fuel compared to a rebuild because of a toasted piston...
    No brainer for me...

+1
    Wow, two great responses...appreciate the advice & information very much! Will let you know how it goes....

+1
    dump the old fuel in yiour truck, it will burn it easier than the ski, thats what i do with all old fuel, diluted in a larger tank has no effect on the way my colorado runs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    dump the old fuel in yiour truck, it will burn it easier than the ski, thats what i do with all old fuel, diluted in a larger tank has no effect on the way my colorado runs
    Too funny - I dump mine in my '07 Canyon - diluted of course - runs fine.

Mines Black and Raised.

+1
    Agree with the rest of them. Dump and refuel. Somewhere up there is a station that has ethanol-free fuel. If my ski will be sitting for a while, I fill with the ethanol-free stuff. (The Grange in Issaquah, across from I-90 Motorsports).

The Cap'n

+1
    So glad I posted...great options & advice...appreciate,it!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Dawg View Post
    So glad I posted...great options & advice...appreciate,it!
    Dude, I've got a full service shop in my garage for the SeaDoo supercharged 4-stroke skis. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Craigo

+1
    I think that's one of the problems - you HAVE a NEED for the full service SeaDoo shop in your garage. Get your boat running!! The season has begun. Rides are being planned that you need to attend!!

The Cap'n

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information