Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SL750 not moving

A neighbor of mine has an SL750 that he wants me to take a look at. He says it starts up fine but it wont move forward. I told him it was probably the prop, but he says the prop is perfect. Are there any normal problems with these that I should look out for? I'm gonna bring it home on saturday and take a look at it. It cant be too difficult to figure out.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk, check the drive line splines.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! Lots of things to look at. Can he better describe "wont move forward". Not at all? Does motor rev up? does it move a little? Not as fast as he would like? Check the pump tunnel to make sure he didn't suck up some garbage, weeds, plastic bags, etc....

Thanks guys! I haven't looked at the ski yet, but from what I understand, it revs up but won't go. That's why I assumed it was the prop. He seems to think that the ride plate needs to be siliconed in and that's what the problem is. I have never heard of this though.

Just from the way he describes it, the problem seems to either have to be the prop, or the coupler. I don't know how it could physically be anything else.

+1
    If the rideplate isn't properly sealed at the pump shoe, then the boat won't go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by wetwolf View Post
    If the rideplate isn't properly sealed at the pump shoe, then the boat won't go forward.
    Is this just a Polaris thing? I've never had to seal my ride plates on my 560s or my fx1

+1
    I bet the splines on the coupler end is stripped. Check inside the coupler for the same destruction. They both have to be perfect to work.they may be sharp so no fingers inside the coupler!.
    Sealing the ride plate prevents cavatation from air bubbles.its just insurance. Also keeps a smooth flow for the water going by at speed.

+1
    Another possible scenario would be the prop has been worn down by sand or rocks along with the wear ring. I hadba prop that was 1/4 inch smaller than the wear ring. The ski hardly would.move. your only suppose to have about 3,4 thiusands clearance between the props leading edge and the wear ring .

If you hear banging or grinding as it gets revs.its the shaft coupler thing. If not and the ski revs up normally then its the prop diameter and wear ring are badly worn. Its decieving to tell if its the prop or the ring. Most likelybthe prop would be sawed down but it would appear to look ok. Stck a light into the pump area and see if you can see light thru the props edges.

I actually just checked out the ski. It looks like one of the bolts that hold the motor to the bedplate came out and the motor was flopping around which in turn broke the coupler.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz Mon View Post
    I actually just checked out the ski. It looks like one of the bolts that hold the motor to the bedplate came out and the motor was flopping around which in turn broke the coupler.
    Yep......that could do it !!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information