Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 122
  1. #1
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,941
    +1
    349

    Cool Please be gentle with the n00b!

    So here I am! My name is Bryan and I'm from Lafayette, LA. I learned about GreenHulk through my car forum (LS2) when somebody over there discovered "jetskibrian" posting up about his Bahamas trip. I've been obsessed with doing that ever since!!!

    Four of the guys on LS2--well 2 and another 2 from their sport bike forum--drove to Florida and rented some skis from a pirate-like fella down there and headed east. This was an epic adventure for them and I've been obsessing over it for several months now. They've already started a thread about doing it again this year from August 29th through September 1st. I guess so that people can get back to their jobs after the Labor Day holiday ends. I would looooooooove to go with them and have finally convinced DaWife that we must do it before I get too old. I'm 54.

    I've been researching as much as I can and have come to the conclusion that we want SeaDoo. Mainly because of the closed loop cooling--which even dirt bikes have--because we will be doing some salt water and I like the idea that salt water will not be getting into the cooling passages. However, there's a large selection and we aren't sure what to do. I'm pretty sure the "Wake" editions are out since I don't believe we'll need their particular features.

    I also didn't want to get brand new because we really don't know if this will ignite the passion to do it regularly and they'll just sit, or get sold with an unhealthy dose of depreciation. However, as my closest friend pointed out to me as we were about to go check out a couple of used skis, I absolutely suck at fixing stuff. So on his recommendation and DaWife's concurrence (along with my admission of my shortcomings), we've decided to go new. So, I guess I'd better like it enough to ski regularly! The only other experience I have is rentals while on vacation in Destin. And it was a blast!!! Kinda like being on a motorcycle, but without the road rash when your raucous little cousin jumps around to intentionally dump you. I wanted to kick his Cajun behind, but I was laughing too hard. It was fun!

    We have been to the local dealership, Lafayette Power Sports. They have a few previous year models that we can get a small deal on and a 2009 GTX 255 Limited--brand new--for a couple grand cheaper than current year. I am still struggling with myself over that one because it has ALL of the bells and whistles. But at 4 years old, it's still more expensive than quite a few of the 2013s. But as old and fat as I am, I'm sure the suspension would help me out a lot when out on the choppy water.

    As for DaWife, she's half my age and in MUCH better shape. And being from The Philippines, she's more used to "roughing it." I'm pretty sure she would be happy with the base 130. But I would like to get her something better because we discoverd that she really enjoyed the few inches of air we were able to catch form other boats' wakes. This was with me driving since it really killed my hip joints to ride in the back. So, on her own, she might even eventually like to get into racing. She has a very competitive nature.

    So, for a pair of brand new SeaDoos, what should I be looking for? I really would like to explore some of the courses Billy has mapped out over on his site and also attend functions/gatherings like MudBug. For sure, I won't be doing any competing, but I might do some light-hearted competition since I found hard turning to be fun, also. But I'll never be the fastest guy out there! Please give recommendations--and quickly before I pull the trigger!--of which skis would be best suited to both of us and why.

    Thanks!


  2. #2
    Fink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North East Arkansas
    Posts
    258
    +1
    5
    How much are you looking to spend?

  3. #3
    leejax01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    1,161
    +1
    98
    Long story short, get a 06-08 Yamaha FX HO. A trusty dusty ski and can find at a great price.

  4. #4
    OzarkYamMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lake Of The Ozarks
    Posts
    2,153
    +1
    295
    DITO on the Yamahas .... not just because i have 2, but because the ride of one over the SeaDoo will seem so much smoother & the dependability will make you & your pocketbook happier. Good Luck

  5. #5
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,941
    +1
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    Long story short, get a 06-08 Yamaha FX HO. A trusty dusty ski and can find at a great price.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    I absolutely suck at fixing stuff. So on his recommendation and DaWife's concurrence (along with my admission of my shortcomings), we've decided to go new. So, I guess I'd better like it enough to ski regularly!
    .

  6. #6
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,941
    +1
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    How much are you looking to spend?
    Not sure. But the absolute cheapest brand-spankin' new ski I can find is over $9K.

  7. #7
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,941
    +1
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    DITO on the Yamahas .... not just because i have 2, but because the ride of one over the SeaDoo will seem so much smoother & the dependability will make you & your pocketbook happier. Good Luck
    Dangit! You guys are just raining all over my parade. I "thought" that I had already decided on SeaDoo. But you people (leejax also!) seem to be convinced that Yamaha is the best way to go.

    I can see your point about maintenance, because why else would ALL of the rental places that I went to in Destin have Yamaha? My thoughts were about salt water--and other stuff-- getting into the coolant passages and causing problems internally. Like blockages and corrosion. Is this not a valid concern?

    I'm not sure what you mean by "smoother." Please elaborate on that because I was thinking that there would be nothing that could beat the SeaDoo with suspension...

  8. #8
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,941
    +1
    349
    Some of the contenders at the local store are a brand new 2009 SeaDoo GTX Limited that they're trying to get $13K for. I was thinking that if I walk in and throw $10K at them, they might just take it to get it off of the floor.

    I didn't really pay much attention to the Yamahas, but they do have some.

    They also have a couple of Kawasaki Ultra 300X's for about $12K. Would the Kawasaki not be just as good as the Yamaha?

  9. #9
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,486
    +1
    320
    Look into the Yamaha vxr/s and the Kawasaki stx15f. Both are less expensive but will still do 65+ and can be had for under 10 if you look, I have heard of the kawasakis going for 6500 new.

    I love the STX but the vxr/s is also a good ski.

    Sean

  10. #10
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,941
    +1
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Look into the Yamaha vxr/s and the Kawasaki stx15f. Both are less expensive but will still do 65+ and can be had for under 10 if you look, I have heard of the kawasakis going for 6500 new.

    I love the STX but the vxr/s is also a good ski.

    Sean
    Okay, so the only Kawasakis they have right now are the 2 300's. One of them for $13K and the other for $14K, 2011 and 2012 respectively. Much more ski than I need--especially being a rank beginner.

    They have a VX Deluxe in carbon and a VX Cruiser in blue that they say they can get me on a double trailer "probably" for under $20K. They also have a blue SHO for about $14K.

    BUT NOW I'M MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER! I thought that I had made a firm decision to stick with SeaDoo. Mainly because of the closed loop cooling, but I also like they way they look a lot better than a Yamaha. Another thing is the brake/reverse control seems to be a better design on the SeaDoo. But you guys are ALL saying Yamaha and I even stopped by the boat repair place a few blocks away and axed the guy there, and he also says Yamaha.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2015 vxr - w/ride, looking for cruise control can it be done with the current ecu
    By piratepcserv in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2016, 07:51 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 02:41 AM
  3. Hoping jerry will be okay with the hurricane coming
    By homebrew in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 07:26 PM
  4. Hoping jerry will be okay with the hurricane coming
    By homebrew in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 08:11 AM
  5. newbie owner so please be gentle
    By 3stepdrop in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 03:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •